help with hard drive speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadpolefoder

Solid State Member
hey, im about to order parts for a new comp; here are the core specs im lookin at:

-gigabyte ga-k8n
-athlon64 3200
-512 mb pny
-msi geforce 6600 256 mb

in other words, a cheap, low end, comp to play older and some new games decently.

but anyway, i was just wondering, in general, what would be the better choice for a hard drive, assuming they were from the same company: a 10000rpm ATA-133, or a 7200 rpm sata 3 gb/s ? would the extra rpm override any gain from the alternative faster transfer speed, or would the slower ata-133 connection be a larger resistance than the slower rpm? or, for that matter, at this point in time, would there be any significant change from a sata 3 gb/s to a ata-133 if they were both 7200 rpm?

thanks,
jut

sorry guys ---
you're completely right --- there aren't any ata-133 hdd's with 10,000 rpm. i just had my facts mixed up. so i guess the real question is, with my faux-gaming system, would there be any significant change, at this point in time, from an ata-133 to a sata-150 or sata 3 gb/s? im just tryin to keep down my spending

thanks,
jut

There isn't much difference at all. As long as they are the same hard drive, they will perform just about the same along all 3 interfaces except for the burst rates and NCQ.

None of the 7200RPM drives out today can sustain 133MB/s so ATA133 is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom