One IDE slot, two harddrives, one CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
Here's the problem:

I have this computer a friend dumped on me. She wanted me to replace the 5.25 floppy drive (which was screwed in but the wires were all disconnected anyway), with a 16x CD-ROM. I said I'd see what I could do.

It's a 486 with two harddrives (C and D, one 203MB and one 81MB), running Win95.

After a quick run to see if the thing at least worked (which it did, and flawlessly, too), I opened it up to see what I was facing. Quickly upon inspection, I noticed the absence of a secondary IDE connector, and that both Master and Slave were the two harddrives. I know that I'd need a IDE controller card in order to have the CD drive connected seperately, but...

I was wondering if it would be possible to take the Slave harddrive out and hook that connector into the CD-ROM drive. I tried this, but it didn't work. It was as if the computer required the second harddrive (it would either give me an error message in BIOS upon boot and not let me continue, or simply not let me continue) and wouldn't recognize the CD-ROM drive (which was whirring away as happy as could be).

I may be a fool for trying that, but I've never worked with stuff this old.

I never could get past BIOS without both harddrives hooked up.

Does anyone know how to make it so that it doesn't try to look for the second harddrive? Or is the IDE cable for the harddrives not the same IDE cable for the CD-ROM drive (they are both REALLY old harddrives after all)? I don't think my friend would be willing to shell out $30 for a IDE cable AND an IDE controller card. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry, no clue about the motherboard. Is there a way to find out anything about it withouth having to take it out and examine the thing? I don't wanna have to go through all that trouble just to do this, especially since it's not my computer.

And the soundcard (or any other card for that matter) doesn't have any type of connectors that could possibly connect to the CD-ROM drive, not even an audio cable (so lets just hope that WMP7 will work on that computer, lol).

But something tells me she's just going to have to shell out the money for the card and cable, or go without the CD drive. Too bad it's her only computer besides a 386 laptop, lol.

Can't use that Sandra thing. It wont fit on a floppy, and therefore I have no way of getting it on the other computer. Oh well.

I guess I'll have to just break the news to my friend on Monday...

Thanks anyways.

its this a computer that belong to some one special to her?
nhow days there's thrift stores that i been to and seen full computers like one that was my first
75mhz
6gb
win98
cd room
floppy disc
great for music lol
and it had a small monitor
i had it for a year and sold it for 50
but the greatest thing was the price
35 dlls
maybe you can search and see if they have something like that at your local salvation army or thrift store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom