Overclocking an old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, how does that work... i was reading an old article about that, but i didnt really get it, keep us updated, i might just one day want to overclock an old computer

There's just three jumpers on the board that control the FSB. Unfortunately, you can't control the multiplier, or the voltage. You've just got FSB to play with. But it seems to run okay overclocking the FSB from 66MHz to a max of 85MHz.

srry to hijack but can i oc my cpu with my mobo? i've been searching and i have tried coolcpu and all but i can't find anything... how do u know if there is a fsb jumper on the mobo? can u help cause i have looked at a manual and dont really know wut to look for..im new to overclocking.. thanks a bunch.... my mobo is a intel easton D815EEA.. the cpu is 733mhz and it is a premade gateway... is there any way?

LOLOLOL funniest thread I've read in a long time...... NEWBS

Edit: Yes the p2 was mult locked, it was the first processor that was locked. At least that I know of

Its still the funniest thread I've read in a long time, probably cause I was into computers way before the soft bios came out. Now people can't figure out how to do anything if its not writen in an on screen instruction, THAT my friend is hilarious.

Ignorant
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

That statment of mine was rude, condescending, and bordering on vulgar, but thats something completly different. Anyway its funny to me, and thats all that matters.

Before you try to start up again my first computer was a c-64, I started working on them in the early p1 era. I remember the days before plug and play. I was running a file server with a whole 6 gig HD which cost me about 380 at the time, people asked me then what was I gonna use that for, like it was some amazing amount of space. My first cd-r drive cost like 250-300 for a whole 4x writing speed. To me 90% of you are newbs, I mean come on how many people can even say they've seen a 286, let alone worked on one?

PS your comment seemed like something michael jackson would say.

Wonder why they lock it?
A roasted CPU would fetch them more buyers!!
Check your policies Manufacturers.. lol

And yes of course i started with a 386 with bare 640 mb hdd. That was the ace then. Seen all from mod to mp3, and yes of course the ML encoders. But never got into a file server anyways.

The first PC i ever worked on was a 486, but the first one I owned was a P1. Overclocked it from 120MHz to 133 with jumpers as well. It wasn't particularly stable, I guess the Mobo wasn't a good overclocker! Funny how 13MHz back in the old days mattered, today you won't even notice 13MHz increase in a CPU!

magouster said:
Funny how 13MHz back in the old days mattered, today you won't even notice 13MHz increase in a CPU!

Gotta think of it in percentages though, thats a 10% OC. I remember spending days tweeking to get max fps, I'd end up with maybe a whole 4 fps higher then when I started.

Edit: all you got was a the fsb to 66? that does kind of suck.

Ohh when they put the mult lock on they said the reason was 'to help prevent piracy'. A few unscrupulous system builders were OCing lesser cpus say 166 to 200, and then selling them as 200. They were also changing the packaging and selling the cheaper CPU for more money, OEM they would just claim it was 200. That was why you check the numbers on the cpu before you buy. OCers were outraged, and even tried to boycott Intel, and that was when AMD really came out and started contending. Even though AMD ended up doing the same a short time later. nuff history

Updatessss:

Since I'm stuck with this crappy computer for another few weeks , I'm pushing everything I can out of it.

I found a mod for Slot 1 P2's where you tape over one of the pins, and it will up the FSB from 66 to 100, thus giving me a 500MHz clock speed. A helluva lot better than 333.
Still looking for a way to unlock the multiplier. It CAN be done, from what I've heard.

I've also used powerstrip to overclock the videocard from 68Mhz to 100MHz. Some small artifacts, but it'll play older games okayish.

Buying SDRAM is really hard around here. Looks like I'm gunna' have to stick with tke 64MB I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom