Which AMD CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullewis323

Beta member
Hi guys

I have just sold my Intel Northwood 3.2 CPU, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo and Saphirre X800 XT PE AGP GP and am about to get my new PC kit

I am going SLI with 2 x 7900 GT's (XFX extreme editions, 520 core, 1550 memory) and an ASUS SLI mobo

I am confused as to which AMD Sckt 939 CPU to get

Its a toss up between an 4000 single core sckt 939 CPU or the 4200 X2 core (dual core) CPU

The single core 4000 has a clock speed of 2.4 Ghz whilst the 4200 X2 has a core speed of 2.2Ghz.

What is the best CPU to get for high-end gaming?

Regards

Paul

paul.lewis323@ntlworld.com

well what are you going to use this computer for?

if you need a lot of multitasking or you are doing video coding or editing then a dual core 4200 would rock your world if you arent worried about its low cache.

if you are gaming you really dont neeeeed a dual core. but if you like to multitask while gaming a dual core is what its all about.

so it comes down to what you need it for.

right now nothing is new, so just wait untill the "revolution of gaming" comes, when ever that is... so jus wait for conroe, u will get ur moneys worth

kaname said:
So you can futureproof your system for a couple of years.

In the end Stainer, there is 2 types of PC buyers: the "lets wait for the next best thing" type, and the "lets buy something NOW that will last a while" type. Currently, we're at a major juction, where I can't tell you to rush out to buy something now, when Conroe and G80 are just around the corner. I'd wait for G80, since it will run the next generation of DirectX, but I wouldn't wait for Conroe, since the new architecture will be quicker, but not necessarily be critical for next-gen games and applications, unlike DX10 support for games.

Oh, so he should waste $400-something on a X2 4200+ and get decent performance. That, while he could wait 2 months and for $326 get something that kick's the arse out of the $1000 FX-60.

Yea, you're a regular genius alright.

Wait for Conroe + GeForce 8.

PS: Nice going on those Dual 7900GT Extremes. Its about as high end as its going to get at this point. Sell them by the end of this year, though. You don't want to be stuck with DirectX9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom