AMD 64 3200+ CPU running slowly in games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed... my friend has the same video card as you, on his Intel something a rather at 3.3GHz. He only has 512mb of RAM, and he can run high settings on BF2 @ 800x600 and maintain about 40FPS...so something is definitly whacked!

I'm running it at 1280x1024 at high-medium settings, 2x AA and 100% view distance.
I get about 20-30 FPS.. which is OK. As long as it is smooth, I don't care about FPS.
My opinion is that there really is no difference between 80 FPS and 30 FPS - as long as it runs smoothly, you can't pick up that it is running 50 more frames per second.

btw - that is with 14 aside bots. (instead of 8)
If I ran BF2 with the stock bots (8 aside) then i'd probably get 30 FPS easily. (on high settings) BUT battlefield isn't battlefield if you only have 16 bots in the whole game.

Just noticed you have the same CPU as me - do you run it at 2.3GHz with the stock heatsink/fan? If you do - do you have any overheating problems? At the moment my Athlon 64 3200 is @ 2.2Ghz. Just wondering whether I should bump it up to 2.3.

I can definitly tell a difference between 30FPS and 80FPS.

Yes, I have the stock HSF. No temp problems at all. I get 30*C or below at idle, and no more than 40*C at full load.

OK cool. Well, I suppose it is just personal preference. I don't mind running at "low" FPS (30+) as long as it runs smooth. That way, it can be smooth and look good too :)
What do you think about the RAM?

Well - after installing some tweaked Nvidia drivers and overclocking the CPU to 2.2GHz and the GPU to 400mhz core/460mhz memory (from 300/350) I got 2342 3DMarks on 3DMark05. Yuss! Thats a significant 500 point increase from the stock clock speeds. At stock CPU and GPU and no tweaked drivers I got 1818 3DMarks.

i would turn on AMD Cool n Quiet this helps alot n its put XP Pro w\sp2

Home slows pcs down alot

Home Edition is just a beta version of PRO

Amd2800 said:
i would turn on AMD Cool n Quiet this helps alot n its put XP Pro w\sp2

Home slows pcs down alot

Home Edition is just a beta version of PRO

Cool n' Quiet is a piece of crap. It under-clocks your CPU when it gets too hot.. what's the point in that, lol.

That's a nice video card overclock.

EDIT:
What do you think about the RAM?

I've never heard of "a-data", but 1GB is basically minimum to play BF2. If I were you, I'd get 2GB Dual-channel DDR500 (pc4000) from G.Skill. OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin, Crucial, and Kingston all make good RAM aswell.

I definitly recommend DDR500 though, I hate my DDR400. It can be overclocked quite high, but you have to loosen the timings which basically makes it run like crap. DDR500 runs at 250MHz stock, and the G.Skill stuff can probally hit around 270MHz without loosening timings.

Yeah I agree about AMD cool n quiet, it is a piece of crap. Not too sure about what you said about XP though - i'd say that the whole "Pro runs faster than Home" thing is just a rumour.

As for the overclock - it is a reasonable overclock - and it certainly gave me a better 3DMark05 score - but because BF2 is really sensitive to overclocking, it didn't make much difference, and actually almost ran slower - so I put it back to only 50+mhz overclocked. It's now 351/451 from 300/400. Runs well at that.

Didn't know you could overclock RAM - how and whats it's performance increase?

I'm thinking of upgrading my 6600 to a 6600GT - what is the percentage of performance increase i'm looking at?
Does the stock clock speed of the GT make it run a lot better than the 6600? The clock speeds for the 6600 are 300/400, and the GT is 500/1000. Big increase.
What FPS should I get with a GT as opposed to a normal, and does it really run well overclocked? (I've heard that it does)

You can overclock ram by loosening the timings, or raising the voltage. It is quite sensitive to voltage though, and you WILL almost instantly fry it if you go too high.

You can also overclock it by just raising the FSB speed faster, that will make it run faster, keep you at synced clocks with the FSB.

I expect you would see and increase of about 10FPS+ if you switched from the 6600 to the 6600GT. But if you're going to upgrade the GPU, rather get the 7600GT. Amazing card for a tight budget!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom