firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
AVG certainly isn't bad, I'm running it on a couple of my PCs but its not going to save your a$$ if you go to any dodgy sites.

MrCoffee said:
AVG certainly isn't bad, I'm running it on a couple of my PCs but its not going to save your a$$ if you go to any dodgy sites.

I take your point, but I don't go there, are we talkin' Warez for example, been there not good for my old system:eek: :eek:

FlashDude said:
You do know norton bought them right?

Nah, not up with it all i'm afraid, Norton in the distant past I've used, too invasive for me, I'm just a simple old fart, likes to keep things simple. I've got a "new" computer coming, an Acer 2.8G with XP Home, 40G HDD, so will look fgorward to getting some tips here from you guys!:D :D

I definately go for the policy based Sygate over application control Zone Alarm.
MrCoffee: the reason you may not see Sygate blocking anything is because it doesn't log half the things ZoneAlarm does and just seems them as petty threats and blocks them without alerting you and this isn't an opinion it is a fact that it doesn't always log like ZA.

ZoneAlarm is a perfectly good firewall, there's no doubting that, but to say Sygate is weak is a huge understatement, it is anything but weak.
The policy absed sygate means you can control outgoing and incomming communication to a greater affect, and it also acts as an application controlled firewall, offering you what ZA does and more.

As for AVG, never met quite such a useful antivirus in my life. Tested it only roughly four weeks ago, 3 PCs, 3 Antiviruses (AVG, Avast, NOD32) and put the same crap on them all.
They were all updated with full definitions but AVG didn't pick up half of what avast/NOD32 did.

NOD32 is relatively unheard of, but a very sound and secure antivirus and I guess the £23 for it is a very reasonable price for what your getting, but im a cheapskate :D and stick with avast.

What I'm currently running is avast!, Sygate, Ad-Aware personal and CCCleaner.
Unfortunately, Spybot won't run on this machine but if it did I would be using it hands down - it gives me some error when I attempt to download updates to the database and won't scan without them.

Jby said:

Unfortunately, Spybot won't run on this machine but if it did I would be using it hands down - it gives me some error when I attempt to download updates to the database and won't scan without them.

Have you tried using other servers to download from? I've had this sort of problem a few times before and usually it was because the particular server that was selected was down.
However once it was because a virus had cripled spybot itself.

I used sygate for a couple of years but I found outpost easier to use and more powerful. Sygate firewall is pre firehole/leaktest etc so its not really safe to use anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom