Two bootable harddrives...help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I have a 40GB HDD with everything installed that I use on a day t day basis.

I had a spare 80GB HDD, which is now my only HDD. So, I have two HDD's that will run my computer. Here's the question - can I plug both in, and then pick which to boot from? The reason I want to, is so I can cram a bunch of junk on one, then reserve the other for strictly gaming...so it's always clean, and nothing bogging me down.

Possible? How do I set it up? Thanks.

You can set one to master and the other one to secondary that is if you have room in your case to do it

Well yeah, I already did that. But it only boots from the master (of course).

This is what I want:

40GB HDD for general use, whatever I want to do to it.
80GB HDD for strictly gaming, only gaming apps and such on it.

I want to be able to pick which HDD I want to use when I boot the computer. Is that possible?

There is an OS on the other disk, but how do I make it bootable? Do I set it to master aswell?

It may seem pointless, but after a while my gaming slows down because my harddrive is cluttered with everything. If I keep the two seperate, performance will never decrease.

CrazeD said:
There is an OS on the other disk, but how do I make it bootable? Do I set it to master aswell?

Set aside the HW issues. If you can "see" both disks when totally booted into Windows (that is, when you click on the "my computer" icon-- are both drives visible?), then you can make either one bootable.

-First option: buy Partitian Magic (or some other software that can do the same). If this is not an option, try option TWO.

-Your 80g disk will have to have a boot partitian on it. How will you know if it does? Shut your computer off. Restart it. If it gives you TWO booting options, then the 80gb drive has a boot partitian. If it doesn't, then you will need to reinstall Windows.

If you need to reinstall Windows, then during the installation process it will display all drives and partitians. Obviously, you want to leave your 40g alone (hopefully, it shows up as drive "C"--- if not, no worries). You will select the 80g drive to reinstall Windows. After that you will be asked if you want to delete the drive or reformat it. That's up to you. I prefer to reformat it-- it's a nice fresh start. If you have files that you need to save, then just simply reinstall Windows. At some time in the installation process it will ask you if you want the option of installing Windows into a specific file-- if you have chosen NOT to reformat the HD, then I would select this option (nevermind why). At the installation point, you will have to name a new directory for the Windows kernal (the directory that houses the OS core files). Since your prevous OS will have been automatically installed into a file named "Windows", I suggest names such as "WinXP" or "Win2k" or Win2000" (whichever applies, Heck! You can name it "DonkyBallz", Windows doesn't care-- just chose something different from the previous directory name).

When all is said and done, and your computer reboots, it will display a screen requiring you to chose a specific OS to boot into (the OS will be named after the directory and the OS version "Windows XP on drive 2 / Windows" or something like that or "Windows XP on drive 1 / "DonkyBallz" or something like that). You will have a preset time to chose or it will default to the most recently installed OS (you can alter this by changing thier listing in the boot.ini file found in the primary master drive-- but I do NOT suggest doing this-- it would be like having Dr. House poke around inside your brain with a surgical drill: one bad move would kill the whole shebang).

That's about it. If you install correctly, you will be given a dual boot system.

After booting into the new OS on your second drive, I suggest cleaning house-- that is, delete the old Windows directory on that drive (not the other drive-- you'd kill the other partitian's boot OS). So, if you named your new OS "Win2k" or "DonkyBallz" then delete the one named "Windows" on the same drive. This will clean house. Beyond that, your "Program Files" directory will have a lot of dead applications in it, but I wouldn't risk too much be deleting them (as per my first suggestion-- I prefer to reformat the drive). Just let Windows sort it out.

Hope this helps.

~String

Well, I'm pretty sure I cooked the 40GB anyway.. lol.

I am getting another 80GB soon, from my friend - so I will do what you said.

Thanks man.
icon14.gif

Well I got that 80GB.

Both drives have Windows installed, but it only boots off one. How can I boot off two? I don't understand..I can boot off either one if I set one to master, I can see it in My Computer, etc.. but it only boots off the master instead of both.

I tried setting both to master and it didn't boot at all. :(

Wow...that's a **** good idea! Maybe I'll do that someday.. there has to be an easier way though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom