What's going on with my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbman

Beta member
Hello, I'm new here. My PC has gone nuts. It became very unstable and was shutting down or freezing about every 1/2 hour. I have managed to get things to calm down by using the system restore feature but now the little monitor icons at the bottom of the screen that light up when I'm downloading something, or when a page is loading....they never seem to shut off. My computer is VERY slow as if I'm trying to do too much at once. How can I tell what it is doing or what is running in the background? I have run Ad-aware 6 and it always finds things that need to be deleated and I do so. I could use some help on how to get things straightened out.

Using: Windows ME
Dial-up conection
ISP= MSN

Thanks,
tbman

u can tell whats running in the backround by pressing ctrl-alt-dlt this will tell you your programs. Now if your worries about a virus or ad-ware well na ill do the job along with ad-ware 6 which u have already used. So looks like it isn't a virus/other crap. Possably your moniter is bad and having the charachters on the screen still lit up because of something wrong on the inside

does it freeze to a point that you have to shut off the computer with the switch?
or just temp and then it releases and you keep goin?

What OS are you running ? Are you getting a blue screen ? or is it just hanging up ? Are you running a P2P program ? Which one ? If you are finding something everytime you run ad-aware then you should try running another spy program also. You could possibly have something that ad-aware is not locating. Spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster work together real good one scans and blocks and the other kills, Bazooka spy scanner is good for finding the problems then the user has to manually get rid of everything.

I've had problems in the past with this and it was usually due to have very low RAM. There may also be hardware conflicts. Try another adware removal like ezarmor. This is the one I use and it works very well. The anitvirus is great also. What you may need to eventually do is reload your OS. You won't lose your programs already on there.

is it possible for you to install windows me over your existing version?

maybe that fresh install will sort your problems out.

with windows xp, a fresh install leaves your data as it is.

if it is possible to install windows xp onto windows me, do that. windows xp is pretty cool. it does not crash as often as the rest of those windows programs did.

or perhaps it is my RAM, i got some more RAM, and maybe it is paging in and paging out which does OS's in. would make sense since one tends to crash more often when one is running more programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom