Problem with new RAM timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neurosys

Beta member
I reciently put together a new system but I'm having trouble with the ram. Here's what I have...

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe - motherboard
AMD 64 3500+ Venice - CPU
Ultra XL Dual Channel 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400 Mhz Memory (2 x 1024MB)

Right now I'm using the Auto setting for memory timing in the BIOS setup. CPU-Z is telling me me memory is running:
201.0 MHz
FSB: DRAM CPU/11

Shouldn't it be at 400 MHz? And the timing is:
2.5, 3, 3, 5, - 11/2T

but the RAM should be able to run normally at a timing of:
2, 2, 2, 5 according to Ultra and everywhere else I've seen.

However when I manually set the timing to 2, 2, 2, 5 the BIOS crashes and I have to clear it and put it back on Auto for the memory timings. Though I know what the Tcl, Trcd, Trp, and Tras should be set to, how can I find out what the Trc, Trfc, Trwt, and Twr should be set to?

Also from what I've read I should be running a 1T memory Timing not a 2T correct? And what is the Hyper Transport Frequency?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

HT should be 5x (2000Mhtz)

Memory @ 1T, It crashes since you need to up the voltage to acheive those speeds. DDR's normal voltage is 2.5v - You'll most likely need 2.8v+ (check the specs)

A64 Tweaker is a good program for this. If the computer freezes, just restart it. Keep lower the timings until its low enouph not the crash.

DDR400 runs at a real clock of 200MHz, and an effective clock of 400MHz. DDR stands for 'Double Data Rate' which means it receives two sets of instructions per clock cycle. So after 200 cycles, it has received 400 sets of instructions (basically).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom