Thermaltake PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
Hi guys,

My friend bought himself the Pentium D 805, and can't get it stable past 3.2GHz (I say stable, but in general Prime95 only runs for an hour before failing - so not really stable). The temps on the CPU never goes above 45C, so I know that is not the problem. Even increasing the CPU voltage does nothing! When looking at the hardware monitor included with his Gigabyte 955X Royal Mobo, it shows rather large variations in voltages on all the rails. The +12V rail for instance fluctuates between 11.68 and 11.49 V quite randomly.

He has a Thermaltake Purepower 560W PSU, and I'd just like to know whether the PSU voltage fluctuations is causing the CPU to not be stable, is it the PSU that is crappy, or could it be the power regulator card (that slots into the mobo next to the CPU socket) dying?

Should he get the Antec TruPower 550W PSU, or could the fluctuations be explained by something else than his current PSU?

Thanks

TT power supplies have never been Good OCing Power supplies.

It could be his Motherboard, or RAM holding him back, There are alot of factors that go into a good Overclock. The 12V rail is within normal, Since the 12V rail be within .60 So it could go as low as 11.40V or as high as 12.60V.

Gigabyte Boards have never been Known for Great OC's, they are more for reliability...
I would say, If he wants to get the most Out of OCing, Get a DFI Board and an Antec Power supply. But That may be too much money for his liking.
Since I hate TT with a passion I would agree with you on buying an Antec.

Its definitely not the RAM holding him back, he has Corsair XMS DDR2 667, and the FSB of the Pentium D 805 is only 133(533), so I know it's not that. I reckon he's got a crappy PSU. With the 805, hes not really overclocking the Mobo, cause it can easily handle 200MHz FSB of his previous CPU, a Pentium 4 3GHz. So its gotta either be the PSU, or the power regulator. Any thoughts?

It could very well be the PSU. I have a TT PSU as well and it is a POS. If I raise vcore above a certain point I get reboots regardless of the OC so I have fully narrowed it down to the PSU.

Yes, I know that, but the motherboard isn't being overclocked, it can handle a 200FSB easily, but it's only running at 155 now, so I'm pretty sure its not the mobo. Or am I missing something simple? I'm not new to overclocking, and logic tells me the voltage fluctuations is the problem. I'm just not 100% sure if it's the PSU, or that stupid voltage regulator! It just gets in the way of everything! Stupid Gigabyte design!

Just because your not OCing the Bus speed on the motherboard doesn't mean its not the Motherboard.

I would Get the Better power supply first then see the results.

TT power supplies have never been Good OCing Power supplies.

Lies.

I've got the same TT PSU that he's talking about for his friend. The +12v is rock solid on 12 and has never caused me problems. It has never been the source of my not being able to overclock any further.

These rails are tested with a multimeter too, so if you haven't tested with a multimeter, then I don't know how reliable the BIOS or windows readings of the voltages are. They are usually pretty bad.

Ya know, it could simply be that the chip has reached it's limit man. If you can I'd just test the rails with a multimeter during idle and full load and see if they really are fluctuating as much as the monitoring program says.

If it is, then yeah the PSU would be the cause, however under most cases if it was running 11.49 it'd crash the computer before he even OC'd it.

Prehaps you got lucky, cause Everywhere I go, TT's are not reccomended for OCing. ;)

Oh wait, TT's aren't reccomended Anywhere I go. :p
Except Here, and only Until I arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom