RAM upgrade for my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanja

Beta member
Hi, I need help with upgrading my memory. I play EverQuest and my computer is really slow when I zone. This makes other players angry with me, and makes me feel bad. But I have to work with what I can afford.

I have an old HP Pavillion Model 533w, but it works fine more me until I get into EverQuest.

My pc sits now as it did when I purchased it (concerning hardware) with nothing having been added...yet.

I was told to upgrade my memory to help me with my problem. I was told to get a 184 pin DIMM 1GB DDR RAM PC2100. I found it online for around $70.

My questions are these:
1) Does this sound correct for this system?
2) Is this a good price?
3) If I purchase this, will I need to purchase other parts (or anything) that might be needed to make this work?
4) Will this help with my problem of slow zoning from one zone to another in my game?

I am sorry that I am a newbie at this. I do not know much about computers, but I have replaced RAM in other computers, so I know I can snap them in. *smiles* I just want someone who is knowledgable to tell me if I am making a mistake or not.

Also, any suggestions for help with faster load in my game?

I thank you kindly for your time and any assistance.

You take care now.....

Phyllis J. K. Owens

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&docname=bph07909&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

^Is that your PC?
If so...

1.) No, you need 168pin, not 184pin, the 184 would not fit.
2.) Yes, but you need a different type of RAM.
3.) According to the website, you already have 256MB stick of RAM installed and max for your system is 1GB. Now, in parenthesis it says "Requires replacement of the installed 256 DIMM", which to me says you need two 512MB 168pin sticks.
4.) It should, more RAM helps load times and I'm assuming that zoning is like loading in that game.

I do not know what agp port is.

Thank you both for writing me.

Please keep in mind that I do not know a lot of computer terms.

Thank you again.

An AGP card is used for graphics cards. You motherboard uses an integrated graphics card. The only option to upgrade would be to buy a PCI graphics card, which would fit in one of your PCI slots.
I don't know if your graphics card is causing your computer problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom