h2oz7v

Baseband Member
After downloading the newest windows defender and trying to install it,
I get this error:

"the older version of windows defender cannot be removed"

I manually uninstalled the original version and tired to clean every
reference in the registry but there is an empty folder in Control Panel where
system explorers used to be.
When I click on the folder (it has no name) it says its invalid.

So

1. how can I install the new windows defender
2. How do I get rid of the invalid folder in control panel. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/h2oz7v/Various/Forum/sytemexplorers.jpg

I have tried using the Windows Cleanup Utility as has been suggested before,
but Windows Defender wasnt in the list.

Gone into safe mode and disabled the service then tried to install,
I've done registry cleans,

Read through here for what I've already tried:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

Please Help!

1700 Series Errors are caused due to bad hard drives or bad hard drive controllers try a new Cable if that does not help you need a new Hard Drive.

Hmm, I hope not, my computer is brand new.

I think the problem is I originally installed Defender with the setup on my Network. I then wanted to re-install Defender to get rid of the annoying update signatures thing, and since, the setup was deleted on the network. So then me being an idiot "manually uninstalled" it by searching through the registry and files etc.

There must be still some traces of it somewhere because of the empty folder where "System Explorers" is usually in control panel (see the screen shot)

Try CCleaner. Maybe that will remove the Registry files that are not in use and allow you to install the new Defender Beta. But since you went in and delete the files in the registry without going thru the add/remove apps you have no guarentee that anything will work. Maybe running the uninstaller might work but doubtful.

Hi

I tried CCleaner, didnt pick anything up, I also used jv16's registry cleaner. Both havent seemed to do anything.

I did originally try the uninstaller, but it kept asking for the original setup "setup cant find the resource on the network drive" which was long deleted.

Also, Windows has been VERY long to load up (just after the logon stage) - its not to do with startups (i've cleaned them up already) so I think its something to do with Defender and that system explorers thing.

I'm pretty sure the Defender service is gone tho..

Any ideas?

The only thing i can say is a repair install. IT seems that since you did this thru your netowrk and all those files are gone you dont have too much of a choice. Either a repair or a format and fresh install.

Since the original installer isnt available to uninstall with and you have already tried to hack out the registry keys all that is left is to repar and hope Windows can fix itself.

Glarysoft Registry Repair Might be able to help but i cant make any promises.

Yeh, I was going to do a fresh format, but I just really cant be bothered because we've only just had the comp working for about a month - we've had terrible problems with the dreaded A8R-MVP mobo.

I'll have a go at the registry repair thingy. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom