Correct Cpu With Gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnthraX said:
Well, if you want to get to 4.1Ghz, you are going to have to get water cooling. It just gets too hot. The FSB is what you change for overclocking. Change the FSB from 533Mhz to 800Mhz and BAM! 4.0Ghz processor.

However, there are a lot of other things to consider with overclocking. You will need to get a good overclockable motherboard, RAM, and a good power supply. You also have to know what you're doing. Don't want to screw something up, and have it cost you a new system.

If you would like to stick with AMD, why not go with an Opteron? They can be overclocked quite well, too.

My suggestion is the Opteron 165...of course it is also $327.00 at newegg but it will give you the most bang for your buck..especialy if you want to experiment w/ OCing...if you want to go in the cheaper side of things you could always go for the Opteron 144 Venus 1000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache for $170.00 at newegg as well.

So the real question is will you be willing to pay nearly double the price for a dual core or would you rather pay less for a good cheaper proc. Both are great processors that both recieved great reviews and decent benchmarks...might i ask what you are runnung on this machine of yours?

sw_freak64 said:
My suggestion is the Opteron 165...of course it is also $327.00 at newegg but it will give you the most bang for your buck..especialy if you want to experiment w/ OCing...if you want to go in the cheaper side of things you could always go for the Opteron 144 Venus 1000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache for $170.00 at newegg as well.

Well, seeing as the Pentium D 805 is $127 on Newegg, and when overclocked can beat out the FX-60. And plus, it too is Dual-Core, and if I remeber correctly, 64-bit. I would say that CPU is the best bang for the buck, in an overclocking view.

But for him, this isn't really possible unless he upgrades his motherboard.

So tell me whats wrong with that motherboard? Yeah Intel is alright with me, that 805 sounds nice for my budget. Is it easy to overclock with intel and what board do u suggest with that cpu?

I will probably be running fear, bf2 and oblivion.

Thanks for being helpful guys. I appreciate it.

First of all blewandowski_69 i do believe that AMD is MUCH better than Intel..it can handle many more processes than Intel and is much more versitile and supports many diff types of Multimedia Instructions as well. And to my knowledge the Pentium D CAN OC to an FX-60 bench BUT you will end up spending ALOT of money on a cooling system be it a Zalaman CPU cooler/fan or a liquid cooling system, so would you rather spend more money on a proc that you DONT have to OC and use the stoch AMD cooler or spend less on a PENTIUM :p proc and much more on a cooling system, your choice!!

Also consider the reviews on a AMD proc being used on games vs. Intel. Intel is great for commercial (buisness) use i.e. spreadsheets, powerpoint pres., etc....but AMD was BUILT for multimedia/ gaming from the begining!! Jus t take that into consideration when you pay your Newegg bill!!!

I would go with the opteron 144 myself, you can oc it very far with stock cooling and no voltage increase. Increase the voltage a little and a TT Big Typhoon for example you're looking at least 2.6-2.8Ghz.

Unless of course you get a complete dud, but the chance are very small, mainly because of the great success i heard when people oc these things.

Since you have a AMD mobo wait for the AM2 Processors these new ones will drive down the costs of the current processors so you can probably get a better one then cheaper. A member said AMD Processors were already going to be released May 23.

Tyler1989 said:
Since you have a AMD mobo wait for the AM2 Processors these new ones will drive down the costs of the current processors so you can probably get a better one then cheaper. A member said AMD Processors were already going to be released May 23.

Yeah, I agree with that. However, it may take a little while for 939's to go significantly down in price.

I really don't recommend that Pentium D. Like curtcheese64 said, it will take a lot of voltage to get that processor to around 4.0Ghz.

I say just got with an Opty 144 or 146. You can easily get it overclocked quite easily on stock cooling.

Even if you get an 805 you take the chance of not getting the correct stepping and product code. And if you've got a 7900gt you're gonna be gaming, so save yourself the headache and get an Opteron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom