Activating Speech Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwinn3

Baseband Member
I’m having problems activating “Speech” within Microsoft Word 2002. I activated speech in the tools menu, but when I attempt to “train” it, I get the message that it cannot complete the operation because another speech engine is in use (Microsoft ASR English Version 5 Engine). I currently have four speech engines installed: Microsoft ASR English Version 5 Engine; Lernout & Hauspie TruVoice American English TTS Engine; Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine 4.0, and Microsoft Text-To-Speech Engine 4.0.

Also, from Speech Tools/Options, when I go to Speech Input Settings/Language Bar/Add/Add Input Language, to activate Speech, it’s grayed out. I have EN United States, Keyboard, U.S., and Speech Recognition added in Installed Services. When I go to Speech in Control Panel, I get the error message: “Could not initialize volume meter. Please select a different audio device.” And for the Recognition Profiles, it’s empty and won’t allow me to select anything including the default. (I DID inadvertently delete the default profile!!)

I also have fully installed Microsoft Agent 2.0 technology. For audio input I have a Labtec webcam with microphone in addition to a headphone with microphone.

My system profile is as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53 gigahertz
2.0GB RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro

Warez Monster said:
have you tried just uisng 1 instead of all 4?

Warez Monster:
Yes I've removed three of the speech engines in add/remove and still ran into the same problems. I believe I have a corrupted recording profile. At this point I'm just going to forego using Speech Recognition until I decide to clean install and get Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom