Windows XP Install disc won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two drives in the problem system (DVD-ROM & DVD+-RW). Both will boot linux installers but not the two Windows installers i have. the Windows Installers I have will boot correctly on my HTPC (P4 1.7Ghz).

Well, Ive never set one up, Im just going by what Im reading and how windows loads and Im still thinking it has something to do with linux already being installed, but I could be wrong

I've gotten that tip too. I will be wiping the drive with killdisk tonight and see what happens.

Do you have a partition with just in just RAW format? Windows doesnt recognize the Linux File system and that could be where your problem lies. If you have the drives all set up for Linux and no RAW partitions available then you wont be able to load and install windows.

It wouldnt keep the install disc from botting but it will prevent you from installing Windows.

If the disc isnt booting at all that just means it might not be a bootable disc. Can you run it from within Fedora? If so but it doesnt give you the option to "Press any key to boot from CD...." on start up with your CD ROM set to the first boot device then the disc is most likely not bootable.

I am getting the "Press any key to boot from CD...." on any system I put the discs into. On any other system, after pressing any key, I will get the installer. On this system, I only get a black screen after the "Press any key to boot from CD...." prompt.

Check the disc for scratches. Either that or your system just cant read the disc. It might be due to Fedora already installed or just that the DVD Drive isnt working on the bootable disc. Hard to tell. But as Warez said i believe that Windows has to be installed first. Something to do with the Linux Boot Loader that just messes with the Windows install. That could be your problem there.

hold on don't delete the linux partition yet.

Copy your xp cd on the other partition in linux (which should be fat32 or ntfs). now boot with a bart pe disc (it might work in linux) and hit setup.

pick new install. put your key in. now hit advance options. pick " I will choose the partition during setup option" follow the rest of the instructions. window can even format those partition to ntfs in needed

I use a method similar to this 2 days ago, to install xp on a laptop that didn't have a cd rom drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom