Sata II

Status
Not open for further replies.

raj177

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have a western digital 1600jb IDE HDD, and added a WD2500KS sata II drive. I have problems with writing to the sata disk. Using WinRAR, i am unable to compress/extract files without the program freezing every few seconds, and i have noticed that when this happens, the cpu usage in task manager drops to around 0%.

Benchmarking software doesnt seem to show any problems, but when i try to copy files to/from the drive, or even from one partition to another, i experience slow transfers. Any help to get my drive working properly would be much appreciated.

THANKYOU.

You will have a slight delay when writing from SATA to IDE because of the slightly lower transfer rates IDE offers. Especially if the SATA drive has say a nice large 8mb or 16mb cache and older IDE has a very small 2mb cache that can impact it as well. It can be a lot of things RPM of each drive etc etc..when you say slow how bad is it? Like copying 1GB of data from one drive to one drive how long does it take? We have a bout the same setup so I can see how long it takes on mine. Only thing is I have two SATAII drives.

Hi,
the IDE drive has an 8MB cache, and has the same rpm as the sata driver. The sata drive has a 16MB cache.
With copying a 1gb file..it would take approx half an hour...with all the freezing every few seconds.
thanks for your reply.

Man, something is definitely wrong there. A 1Gig file shouldnt take muck longer than about a minute on IDE drives, let alone SATA. What could be wrong? No idea! :D

yea its really weird...and its doing my head in...i dont know what is causing this, but could it be a driver problem?

I'm not sure drivers will cause a slow down in copy speeds. If anything, it would mean the HDD wouldn't even be recognised. In what SATA port have you got the drive plugged? Is it SATA1? And check the IDE drive connections as well!

yea i've checked all the cables and conncection and everything...sata HDD is in the port that says sata0...is that alright?

May you should goto the western digital website, or if you have a utility like Partion Magic 8 or something so see if windows is recognising your drive properly. I think that it may think that you have a few less cylinders than you actually do and that may be rendering your performance.

Let us know what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom