LGA775 Pentium-D Rig...Component Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mündo

Baseband Member
Hey there everyone...I'm looking at the prospect of building a new socket 775 system for general multi-tasking and Nuendo with loads of vst instruments loaded...id like to be able to rip dvds or encode/decode in the background and still use nuendo smoothly. also...id like to have a blatant disregard for system resources when opening windows and programs...also...perhaps a HDTV tuner card...with other programs running...

I'm NOT gaming...not even a little bit...it is of NO concern

-either a pentium D 805 ($155CAD) OR pentium D 930 ($255CAD)
-if an 805, what HS/F for 800fsb action? muahaha

-what motherboard would you suggest? (i like the idea of being able to play cd's with the computer powered off...with those asus boards...is that available in 775?) (ASUS site is down for maintenance...so i dont know)

-could i use generic major brand ram and oc on a divider, or would it be in my best interest to get performance ram?

-id rather use a 7200 rpm drive...raptors still seem a little expensive for my liking...ill probably end up running a maxtor dmax 10 or something to that effect...unless you can make a good recommendation otherwise

money is definitely an issue...i want the best value i can get...and im open to any suggestions. thanks for the help!

ive been told the 805 needs watercooling to get 4ghz, and even with watercooling still reaches over 50 celsius...and require a huge amount of power...

and why are you using the 820 if the 805 is so amazing? lol

Let's try this again...

Look at this for the cpu

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05...ores/index.html

Like septoid said, A cheap dual core that OC's well, I'm not saying push it to 4 GHz, just OC it. You are looking for cheap right?

You can get corsair value ram (emphasis on the value) and tighten the timings and use a divider. Get a seagate HD instead, maxtor's are notorious for crapping out within a couple of months if they don't come DOA. For the HSF, use an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.

If you're doing media encoding then you know that your processor is gonna be the most important factor. All these parts are cheap and reliable, with the 805 it's cheap and you can OC much eaiser. All those parts above cost about $400 CAD, you can spend another $350 on a mobo and video card and have a respectable system. I use an 820 because I got it for $130 USD, NIB from a friend who needed to get rid of it.

Go with the d930 and 2 gigs of DDR 400. I have a project recording studio and use alot of bandwidth....wish I had a dual core CPU and my old Prescott isn't "cutting the mustard" anymore!! DXi plugins, especailly Waves Platinum, hang up the CPU when editing more than 32 tracks at time!!

That 805 is crazy:

Affordable Dual core - This is a 2.66ghz smithfield core with a 533mhz front side bus, this is just as fast as the 2.8ghz smithfield (820 with 800fsb) and at quite a bit cheaper. Of course it is not identical in performence, but if not side by side you would not know the difference. High potential - the high mulitplier (17x) and low front side bus (133mhz, quad pumped) is just prime for overclocking. Even with stock cooling and voltage you can reach 3.4ghz simply by increasing the fsb to 200mhz. 200x17=3400mhz. Which means even cheap value ram rated for DDR400 (pc3200) can reach these speeds. Of course with faster ram the sky is the limit! Great multitasker - For those of you who work with large PDF files or spread sheets its a wonder. Great for video compression, audio encoding, zip archiving, and generaly a VERY responsive chip!

Cons: Can run very hot at times - Though stock settings the heatsink is both quiet and capable of cooling this chip very easy, those of you looking to reach 3.4ghz or above should look at a better cooling solution. Something like the Thermalright XP90, XP120, thermaltake Big Typhone, or any other large heatpipe cooler with large diameter fans can not only reach 4ghz barrier, but can do so without the need for any loud fans. VERY power hungry - at stock speeds it can suck down over 90w of power, which is more than some of the high end and faster Athlon X2's. At 4.2ghz you can expect to see 160w or more of power draw from this thing alone.

Other Thoughts: Without a doubt, this is THE BEST value for most users to date. For such a low price you get a dual core processor that is faster at multi tasking than any single core offering out there, with a lot of headroom for users to take advantage of. A word of caution though, do not skimp on the motherboard or system memory if you intend to take advantage of this headroom. Also you MUST buy a good cooler if you expect to break 3.4ghz...stock unit will not hold up and will become very loud. It is also important that you do not skimp on the powersupply either! So in the end, if your wishing to get every last mhz out of this processor, it becomes costly very quickly. But for those of you willing to settle for a 3ghz dual core processor you have nothing to worry about and it means only a few minutes of tinkering followed by a few hours of intensive testing to ensure stability.

In simple words, Mündo, the 805 is decently cheap compare to the other dual cores chips, whilst you can Overclock it to match the higher-end chips... but thats another story cause you'll need a good cpu cooling etc...

Theres another thing.. the new 9xx Series of the dual cores of Intel Pentium D are 65 nm, which is a big diffrence but it will cost more lol.. so do you'r figures, also the Smithfield core which the 805 is based on is practically two prescotts while the Presler in the 9xx series is something totaly diffrent.

Just throwing in more facts to help you think this through ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom