AGP the new PCI-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, AGP isn't simply good enough to compete with the PCI-E standards. So I doubt we'll see a comeback any time soon.

AGP is going extinct, I have a 9600 Pro and have been looking for a good video card for months. I think it will just be cheaper to switch to PCI-e mobo and buy a PCI-e card.

I think AGP will be around for a awhile, but not for people like us that build systems. There are WAY too many people that have prebuilt system, and there is still a market for it... H3ll... Look at the 7800GS that I have... I finally made the switch, but it's still out there... But there are people that will replace cards and not the whole system... "It's still working" is what I get here... :) So who am I to argue about to them...

Jby said:
Currently, AGP isn't simply good enough to compete with the PCI-E standards. So I doubt we'll see a comeback any time soon.

The PCI-e bus isn't even being utilised properly. I have a 7800GS on an antiquated AGP slot that will compete with, and propably beat most stock PCI-e 7800GTs out there. The AGP slot has a fair amount of life still left in it, the move to PCI-e happened WAY too soon!

Its the same as when people go on about dual x16 PCI-e slots in SLI mobos, and how you'll only get half the performance increase in SLI if you have dual x8 PCI-e slots. That is plain bull****, since most cards, including the 7900GTX, don't even use all of the bandwith PCI-e has to offer. I'm sure that the 7900GTX in AGP format would be very competitive compared to its PCI-e counterpart!

magouster said:
The PCI-e bus isn't even being utilised properly. I have a 7800GS on an antiquated AGP slot that will compete with, and propably beat most stock PCI-e 7800GTs out there. The AGP slot has a fair amount of life still left in it, the move to PCI-e happened WAY too soon!

Its the same as when people go on about dual x16 PCI-e slots in SLI mobos, and how you'll only get half the performance increase in SLI if you have dual x8 PCI-e slots. That is plain bull****, since most cards, including the 7900GTX, don't even use all of the bandwith PCI-e has to offer. I'm sure that the 7900GTX in AGP format would be very competitive compared to its PCI-e counterpart!

Simple: PCIe = 2x the AGP bandwidth: AGP = RIP. No resurrection. AGP wil be around for another 4 or 5 years because the vast number of mobo's out there are still AGP.:p

hopefully the g80 does a better job of utilizing pci-e, i'm not expecting it to untilize it all for a while.. but they better do better than what they're doing now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom