OC an Athlon Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
I am soon to be an owner of a 1200mhz Thunderbird (off of ebay) and would like to know (with it "unlocked") how far it will overclock and what to use for cooling. My goal (if possible) is least 1400mhz.

Ok first off you can never tell how far a CPU can be overclocked. Each one is different. When you say unlocked do you mean the multipliers? If so your going to have to mod the CPU to get the multipliers unlocked. My guess is your going to hit atleast 1400MHz.

Yes I do mean the Multiplyers, the L1 brigde on it is the key to unlocking it and i can find how to do that on the internet, but if i can hit 1400 how good should my cooling be or can i stick with a stock cooler or get something better (or does anyone even know?)

Those CPU's are run quite hot. It's better to raise your FSB to increase system bandwidth and overclock your CPU aswell as your ram. You'll get better preformance.

I have a 1200 Athlon Thunderbird with its stock cooling in my "server" at home, and it idles at about 55-60C, goes up to about 70C under full load. I've wanted to change the stock cooler on it, cause I have a Athlon XP 2800 stock cooler lying around, but the server has a microATX case, so the PSU is on top and in front of the CPU. Its still going strong with its 40mm stock cooler at 6000RPM, though! Noisy as ****, but it does what it's supposed to, hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom