Sharing files between Desktop/Laptop & Laptop to Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerio

In Runtime
Hi everyone,
I have this problem here, i want share files from my desktop to laptop and laptop to desktop, i already installed the file and printer sharing for microsoft networks but when i put any file into the folder (shared documents) , i dont see the file.....

I m doing something wrong?

Please i really need help here....

Thank you everyone...

since you haven't specified I'll assume you're using an ethernet connection.

You need file and printer sharing for microsoft networks enabled on the connection for both systems as well as a protocol (TCP/IP with IP and subnet).
They both need to be set to the same workgroup.
you need to make sure the permissions for the folder allow access to the other computer and you need to make sure the firewalls of both systems allow each other.

if all that is good and still no go then get back to me.

Also I assume both PCs are running windows XP?

Yes, both Laptop and desktop have WIN XP. When you says ....you need to make sure the permissions for the folder allow access to the other computer and you need to make sure the firewalls of both systems allow each other...... i don t know...how i do this....

thank you so far.

Do you actually have a working network connection between the PCs?

You network card properties should look something like this:

net4ac.png

and the properties of the folder like so:

share9dt.png

Then use "My Network Places" to browse for your second computer in your workgroup

This is getting way to complicated. Have you run the home network setup wizard? on both machines and enabled file and printer sharing during the wizard install? And set them both to the same workgroup mshome (default). Then in network places (that should show up in the start menu after the wizard is done, If not restart the computer!) You should see all computers hooked to the work group. And you should be able to open any file/folder in the shared folder. The other thing to consider is if you are using stand alone firewalls you will have to alow file sharing, XP built in firewall automatically does it for you during the wizard install.

hey everyone...i tried everything that you said but i got this message: YOU MAY NOT HAVE PERMISSITION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE. CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS SERVER TO FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS PERMISSION.

Sorry everyone with this subject

Did you select connects threw a residential gateway or another computer when you ran the set up wizard? Is one of the computers an xp pro machine? And what do you have for a firewall?

no....my both pc (desktopand laptop) run winXP Home edition. My desktop is connect to router (DSL) and my laptop is wireless....
i have mcafee....what you mean...setup...? i dont know

run the wizard again and select the option on both computers that says
"This computer connects threw a residential gateway or another computer on the network"

That is the option you have to select when setting up the wizard!! OK? And make sure to put a check mark on the box beside the option

Turn on file and printer sharing

And make sure to set the workgroup the same on both computers mshome is the default and will work fine.

Do this on both machines!! then restart both machines

i did dude and keep tells me the same message,,....
YOU MAY NOT HAVE PERMISSITION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE. CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS SERVER TO FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS PERMISSION ...... what you thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom