spilled coffee on keyboard dvd not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonesbauer

Solid State Member
About two weeks ago, I spilled a little coffee on the keyboard of my laptop, the dvd tray popped open and would not close. The next day I was able to close it. It would then recognize the audio cds but would not play any, then yesterday, it attempted to play and after about 5 seconds on track 1 it raced through the tracks and the window disappeared.

Help anyone....

I wonder if you shorted something since it made the drive pop open. How much is a little coffee?

Can one of you geeks give me some help with this.....please. I am currently unsure what to do. Do I replace the internal dvd rw drive in my laptop or are there other steps I can take to get it working?
Thanks,
Simone

Re:

geek..!!?

...it's ubergeek...actually...:freak:

Like wasisnt said, the coffee as probably shorted something. When you spilled it in their did you try and dry it out as soon as? If not it can cause unrecoverable damage.

Most laptops have modules for floppy disk drives, cd drives and hard drive...meaning they can be slid in and out of the laptop for the user to change to different drives, or replace current ones if they are faulty, without being intrusive.

Firstly...what laptop do you have?

It could be that the drive is faulty and needs replacing. Less likely, other circuitry could be shorted on the motherboard, causing the problem.

Mr. Ubergeek, thank you, thank you, thank you....for your response. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. It is less than a year old, how do you take out this dvd rom drive? I contacted Dell and they cannot help me without me sending it back. I don't have time for that. Mr. Ubergeek, I greatly appreciate your assistance, Sir....Simone

Re:

Hello,

Your Manual instructs you how to remove drives out of their bays. Documentation available here:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/index.htm#printed_documentation

The HTML Service Manual gives you detailed instructions on how to open the laptop to replace internal components...

...however you don't need to go internally to remove the cd-rom drive.

The at the end is the PDF Owner's Manual. Nearing the end of the PDF are instructions on how to remove drive from their bays. You'll want to remove the Optical Drive.

Once removed, see if your system works normally. If it does then your optical drive needs replacing. If you still encounters noticeable problems, and your sure it's because of the coffee, then something else is probably shorted and this is where things get more difficult :confused: .

Alvin C, you are awesome. Many thanks and I hope the UK is doing well, it is rather late there. Good night, Sir UberGeek!
Simone

Alvin, I examined the dvd drive after removing it from its bay, there was some coffee residue on the outside of it, I cleaned it and put it back in, it still will not recognize that there is a dvd/cd in the drive. When I double click it on 'my computer' it tells me to put a disc in the drive when there is a disc in it. What do you think? What should I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom