Conroe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curry Viking said:
You may get it cheaper, but whats the point when you can get a cpu that beats an overclocked FX-60 for $316 (I thinks thats the price of the 2.6ghz conroe.) Its time for people to stop being fanboy's of AMD and start to being fanboy's of the best technology regardless of manufacturers. Just wait for the benchmarks to come out and decide then.

Im not an amd fanboy , if i was this subject wouldnt be on the fourms by me. I would love to get a concore , I didnt know they would be arround $300 at launch. Thats in my price range, i just thought it would have ben cheaper to get a high end amd x2 b/c my current mb is 939. so thats a allot less $$ then concore and mb. remeber not all of us can just blow cash like its nothin. So im no fanboi i just want good performance on a budget.

MrCoffee said:
Hmm I'm not so sure of that, Are you looking at the benchmarks of early samples or something?
well i guess they have goten better but still not an option at all for me. Look at the gameing benches thats a horrid performance increase. :(

Wow, I must've missed that article. In any case;

Since increased memory bandwidth did not translate into similar increases in gaming performance we can only conclude that this iteration of AM2 is not particularly memory starved - a result that was really expected.

Still not enough of an improvement. And certainly nothing to talk about. You get more performance increase from overclocking your processor 200MHz...

This was originally posted by ATI Overclocked on Overclock.net
ps: The search button does wonders.
I have been all of the internet looking up prices on this new Ground Breaking CPU, I decided to make a thread with my own, prereleased review. It will be based on trusted sources. So here it goes.

With the price's of the 9XX dropping dramatically in the past month, Intel is setting the stage for the Release soon, very soon. And once the new Conroe Core comes out, the computer world will change forever. With a new core, speeds, cache and even a new naming convention! The new Conroe has 4 MB of cache, 4MB!!!!! And it has been reported that the Conroe can be overclocked very well. So this helps us "El Cheapo" overclocker's by spending less to get more. From what I have read from various trusted sources on the Web, they can be overclocked to as much as 50% there stock speed. And that is with just air cooling. Here is a picture I dug up.

And from further speculation, another Overclock.net user has found a picture as proof to the new E6400 was able to complete the SuperPi in 16 Seconds. Here is the picture of that.

Click Here for the thread.

Now, with the 4MB L2 Cache, where is it all going? Well some people say that there is 4 MB per core, but they are wrong. The 4MB will be distobuted among the 2 cores as they need it. Thus, not allocating a certain amount of cache to one core, one can use 1MB and the other can use 3MB. These processor are said to run 40-50% better then the Pentium D 950 while, at the same time, using 40% less power. When the Conroe it release ther will be 4 models to choose from: the E6300, E6400, E6600 and E6700. When they are released, reports from Intel sources claim the prices will be as follows: $209, $244, $316 and $530, respectively. At the same time, Intel plans to release the VT-less Pentium D 925. This will drop the prices for the 940, 950 and 960. They also claim that they are going to phase otu the 920 and 930. Here is a price list I found.

The 2.76 Ghz Conroe will retail for about $530, and this matched up to AMD's 2.6 Ghz Athlon FX retailed at $1000+. But there has been no Official Release Date given, but it is rummered to be here in Q3 of this year (For those that dont know, that is the 3 Quarter of the Fiscal (Business) Year).

During benchmarks the 2.66 Ghz Conroe got 186 FPS during fear @ 1280x1024, max effects, high quality. But the AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz only got 132 FPS with the same settings. Does this tell us something? Maybe more bang for our buck$????

Heres the link if you want to see the pictures or whatever.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/87172-pre-release-conroe-review.html

josh87 said:
Amd hasnt been sitting around!! Now the fun begins!

The fun began quite a while ago, you're just late to the party. :p

Yea, K8L looks promising, but Intel is hardly sitting around either. Nehalem architecture in 2008 (45nm), and Gesher in 2010 (32nm). Even before these, we have a Quad-Core 65nm processor. That also reinforces my point to all the AMD fanboys that we know about new CPUs many years in advance. AMD isn't going to pop up anything amazing in the next couple of months.

Frankly, though K8L with all it's Quad-Core Glory looks promising, Intel's got its own Quad-Cores coming out, so its not going to be a monopoly on the Quad-Core for AMD. The Kentsfield processor (65nm, 2007), based on the Nehalem architecture, has 4 cores and 2 x 4MB L2 cache. Compared to AMD's miniscule K8L caches, I see there being a genuine struggle in 2007. But until then, ah, blissful Conroe.

dark_omen said:
found that review of a "conroe" owning a fx-60 that every1 was talking about.

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q1/conroe/index.x?pg=2

Thats not the one that everyone's talking about. That one's on Anandtech. Though most of the talk is coming from places like XtremeSystems Forums where people actually have Conroes and have overclocked them and have compared them to other processors from AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom