Plugging in USB device reboots/Shutsdown computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjm2122

Baseband Member
I have two different PCs One I built myself a p4 2.8 775
nothing special on it and a brand new dell out of box about 2 days ago that was just setup.

Both have the problem when you plug anything USb in to them
it restarts the PC or shuts them down.

I have been looking and most sites say its a power issue but I dont see how a brand new dell machine would have a power issue with the usb.

I could turn off usb legacy support if that will help but I am not sure it will.

The new one also does it when plugging in the speaker jack to so I thought it might be a static issue but I didnt know if that would cause it to restart.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is this just one USB device we're talking about?

What else do you have on the same power circuit as these PCs? Can you try running one of the pcs on a different circuit?

It has lots of usb devices running off a usb hub.

wireless mouse wireless keyboard and scanner and
I think it was when plugging in the scanner each time it
reboots so I thought maybe I was just putting to much into the usb since the usb hub is not externally powered.

One of the pcs I plugged my ipod directly into a front usb port and it shut down and restarted. It was almost like a short of power or maybe static electricity.

the other pc is not on the same circuit its in another house that one I am pretty sure everything is plugged into the usb hub and maybe its overloading so I am having that person try and plug some directly into the computer and not so much into the hub.

I will let you know about the second computer the first computer I am not sure why it does it sometimes but not all the time.

They all depend on the usb for power.

the second computer is brand new dell out of the box and
it is having the usb devices plugged directly into the usb
slots and it is restarting. It also happened when pluging in
the speaker jack into the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom