3800+ vs 165

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
I'm buying a new gaming rig on a budget of about 800 pounds. I've got everything pretty much figured out, except the CPU. My question in the end is: Will I see a massive difference in performance between the Opteron 165 and the X2 3800+ if they are both overclocked to, lets say, 2.5GHz?

Yes, I know the 3800+ has less cache, but does that affect performance enough that I HAVE to spend 50GBP ($80 US) more? Or will I be fine with the 3800+? With the money I save I could upgrade the GFX card, or maybe get another HDD. Thats why I'm asking! Any help is greatly appreciated!

if your not a heavy multitasker or anything.. i dont think you'd notice the difference.. and what kind of graphics card are we talking about here?

if you got the opteron what kind of graphics card would you be forced to get then? And how many games do you really play? If your play games heavily then i'd just get the 3800 and a 7900

Games is all I do on my PC basically. But I'd like to go dual-core for the sake of future programs and games. I'd still get the 7900GT, but then I'd have to drop a second 250GB HDD. Yes, I know a lot of people would say I don't need more than 250GB, but I do, and would really like the second drive.

well if saving money would get you another hdd and video card, i say you go for that, i'm sure the 3800 x2 should do just fine, alot of people here seem to use it, and love it.. so i wouldnt see why not? it seems to outperform my overclocked 146 pretty easily...

Thanks for the advice! What are you runnig that opteron at now? What cooler are you using, since I have a bit of a one-man debate with myself about the best (compatible with DFI SLI-D) CPU cooler. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Big Typhoon, and it fits in my budget, so I'll propably go with that unless someone suggests something better. I'm not looking to overclock the 3800+ to death, I'd be happy if I could keep it running at 2.5, maybe 2.6.

i say go for the opty, i think its better and if ya get one the OC well, say thro ebay or finding a good stepping (all be it abit risky) then you could get to 3ghz, and its easy to upgrade another hdd later, are you doing a raid?

I don't think I'll do a RAID. I know the Optie is better, but will I notice a diffrence. Like I said, I won't be OCing past about 2.5 anyway.

well if there both on 2.5 then no, i dont think youll notice a diff, but if you could have it on 3, is that not tempting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom