trouble booting windows xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicide007

In Runtime
This is my first build, and I am having some trouble. I am using a biostar pro-A7 combo mobo, and it boots into the bios fine. However, once i try to boot windows (from a sata Maxtor HD) the windows logo flashes on the screen for a milisecond, and then a blue screen of death shows up. I can tell it means something is wrong, but it flashes for about a half of a milisecond, making it impossible for me to read. The computer then restarts, and I get mad. and sad. I need help.

Has anybody had any experience with biostar bios? btw, cpu is running fine, idling around 33C. (that is good, isnt it?)

Im using the HD out of my old computer as a boot drive. Its 300G and already has windows home installed on it. But do i need the disk to configure it for my new system?

I also had this problem once before where it was automatically restarting before I could see the error - it's a setting somewhere that can be turned off but I believe it can only be turned off if you have access to Windows, which you don't. If you can find the registry value then I guess you can change it manually by booting from floppy.

If you have a second harddrive with windows on it try setting it to master and setting the faulty windows to slave, at least that way you may be able to get all the information off it so you don't have to reformat.

Other than backup + reformatting I can't suggest anything if we don't know exactly what the error is.

However, if you can get your hands on your windows XP CD and can run the recovery console then try doing a
chkdsk /f
chkdsk /r
fixboot

BSOD on startup can be caused by several things, but its worth testing those commands, in the last 2 weeks alone I've been unable to access 3 harddrives due to an unmountable boot device BSOD at startup and it was fixable using chkdsk and fixboot.

Good luck and get back to us if anything works/ have more information.

O yea, i also just remembered something that might be kinda useful. The file system on the drive is fat32. Im still not sure how that happened, but it did. could that have anything to do with it?

also, to CPU has 64-bit support, but im runnin 32-bit windows xp home. Should i have turned off the 64 somehow? if so, how?

It wouldn't matter that the file system is fat32, in fact when your systems crash and you can't gain access to them it is usually easier if its FAT32 as NFTS can be a ***** to get the information off if you come across a problem.

Did you try the above commands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom