Solid State Member
OK, here it goes:

System Specs:
ECS Elite Group K8T890-A motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ATI Radeon 256MB X1300 PCI-Express Video Card
1GB Corsair XMS Unbuferred Memory
DVD Rom, DVD+-RW, 40GB WD HDD, 250MB Iomega ZIP

When I boot off of either Windows XP Home (32-bit) or Windows XP Pro Corp (32-bit), I will get the "Press any key to boot from CD..." then a blank screen. The installer won't load. I have successfully run and installed:
Fedora Core 5 i386 CD
Fedora Core 5 x64 DVD
Knoppix 5.0 DVD

The Windows discs have been tested in several other systems and will boot fine. The only system they have a problem on is this one.

The problem that I'm having isn't in dual booting, it's in getting Windows to install in the first place. The installer does not start. I included that I had installed linux in the system to show that the system will take an install, just not Windows.

Yes, the system is currently running on Fedora Core 5 x64. I don't care if I loose this install.

Wel I think its because Linux is there first and not windows....sounds like it cant instal because linux has the bootloader...

That shouldn't matter should it? When Windows installs, it will overwrite the bootloader, right? The problem is though that while normally when you install windows you get a blue screen and the installer starts loading setup files, I don't get that. I get nothing. This should be before the Windows installer even looks at the hard drive.

OK, those instructions assume that the WINDOWS INSTALL DISC BOOTS in the first place. My Windows CDs will not BOOT.

This is what I get:
1. Insert Windows XP Install Disc
2. Reboot computer
3. BIOS Loads CD
4. Prompt: "Press Any Key To Load from CD..."
5. Press Any Key
6. Black Screen

This is what should happen:
1. Insert Windows XP Install Disc
2. Reboot computer
3. BIOS Loads CD
4. Prompt: "Press Any Key To Load from CD..."
5. Press Any Key
6. Blue Screen with installer setup information, driver loading, and soforth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom