Diconnected Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steinert12

Beta member
While I was gone for a couple of days, my brother took our old 37gb hard drive out of our computer (without backing up any programs, saved game files or folder files) and put in a 80gb hard drive and installed windows onto the new 80gb hard drive. The old hard drive had a decent amount of game files, folder files and some nice programs on it. Is there any way to recover those files even though it was unhooked from the inside of the computer?

You have to reinstall the games on the 80GB. Reconnect the old drive and move the save game files into the correct directory in the new HD.

Thank you. I just wasnt sure whether or not you had to reformat a hard drive after taking it out.

Not to bring the subject back up, but I have a really small 4600c Dell Dimension. There is only one slot for a hard drive. I can not hook two up at the same time. Right now I have an 80gb hard drive in. This 80gb hard drive was installed about 3 months ago. The old hard drive that was replaced was taken out without my consent, before I had time to back anything up on disks. Will I have to reformat the old hard drive if I put it back in to put some files on a disk. I guess pretty much what Im asking is all the stuff on the old Hard drive gone or can I still back it up?

The stuff on the old HD shoudl still be there (assuming it hasnt been dropped or damaged so you cant access it). You can switch the hard drives back, so the original one is in the computer, Burn the data you want to save to CD then switch the HDs back, so the new one is in the computer, and pull the data back from the CD..

Note: I usually put a text file with the locations where I got the saved game files from (each game has a line) so when I go to put it back I dont have to sit around checking folders untill I get the right one.

If, as with the above comment, you are capable of burning a cd (or reading one) then you have an IDE cable available. Take it from your CD-drive. Most systems have two IDE controllers, which can have two drives each. If you physically mean there is no room, such as a drive bay, don't worry about it. Just make sure your HD is set in such a way that the cable isn't being pulled on. I've been able to lean them against the case or set them on top of a small object to accomplish this. It doesn't need to be there long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom