How can I install drivers for a pci and pci-e card at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I've been trying to install a pci-e card but whenever I install the drivers it causes my computer to crash and will only boot into safe mode. I figure its driver error since I'm using a pci card now. Reason being is the pci-e card won't show anything at bootup and I want to just see if it will at least install.
The pci card is a 5200 and the pci-e is a 6800gto (from dell).

my guess is the card doesn't work. if it doesn't show anything during post when the card is installed on its own there is a hardware problem. aside from that the nVIDIA Forceware drivers should work for both cards. i suppose your best bet would be to check in BIOS for the order it recognises display devices in. make sure it detects pci-e first.

nitestick said:
my guess is the card doesn't work. if it doesn't show anything during post when the card is installed on its own there is a hardware problem. aside from that the nVIDIA Forceware drivers should work for both cards. i suppose your best bet would be to check in BIOS for the order it recognises display devices in. make sure it detects pci-e first.

I presume that you are switching betwwen cards after post. Been there and done that. The Dell card is, as the quote above suggests, Doggie Doodoo! The fact that it crashes when the generic drivers at post are replaced by manufacturers drivers indicates that that card probably has bad GDR memory. Buy a new card. If you have the money, buy a 7900GT.

I can only select one card to display.
What I don't understand is why does the card show up in device manager if its broken?
Could broken memory cause that to happen? I was able to get it recognized in device manager as a 6800 once but then it would only run in safemode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom