Motherboard problem...Fix or buy new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slippybippy

Solid State Member
I have a custom built computer with AMD Athlon 2000+ processor, 512 MB RAM,and 60 Gig HD, with Windows XP Pro.

My motherboard was an ECS K7SEM, which smoked and burned about 3 weeks ago. I ordered a K7SOM+ replacement board from ebay which came and does not have any video output. (We even tried putting in a separate video card into the AGP slot, it didn't work) I am going to try to get my money back.

I also had to order 2 PC3200 Rams, 256MB each, for the new board. I spent $32 on the board, and $35 for the memory. I also spent $48 for a newpower supply before I bought the used board.

I need a computer, but money is real tight at the moment.

I can buy a Dell B110 computer, which will do the trick for $339 plus tax and $29 shipping.

Or....I can try to get a motherboard that might work for less money than a new computer.The thing worrying me is, that before the board smoked and died, I had an error message on startup saying that there was a corrupted system file.

If I buy a new board and processor, will I be able to start up the computer enough to load new drivers to it, or with the sys file error, I won't be able to? If I had a working computer, I could do a manual restore date which I have done many times. But the board without drivers, and different ones at that, scare me.

What would you do if you were me? I would love to hear it.

P.S. Can I use my old hard drive in a new computer with the filedamage?? Or where can I get a MB that might work with my oldprocessor? Will I need a new processor? Does it pay to just get new?

you might want to clean install that might solve the problem, sometimes a pre installed os on a non configured system will cause errors like that. see if you can back up your data or use a fresh hard drive to install a new os onto and try it then. always and i dont care how much tech exp anyone has call the manufacturer before you buy it they built the thing right so they should know if its compatible or not.

How can I do a clean install without video output on my monitor? I can't back up anything....no video output. It's like trying to be a sniper,while you're blind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom