Silly problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
Hi guys, I'm in need of help! I don't know exactly where to put this, hope its in the right section!

I have a Yahoo mail account, but I'd like to be able to use Outlook Express to view, send and recieve e-mails. Is it possible to set that up, or not? Thanks in advance! :D

To get POP3 mail access with the standard Yahoo email account you need to sign up as a Yahoo! Delivers member (currently February 2004 free). Once signed up you then need to enable POP3 access and mail forwarding. You will find both options on the mail options page of your mailbox. The procedure is as follows:

If you are not signed into your account, you can check your status or become a Yahoo! Delivers member by doing the following:

Sign into your Yahoo! Mail account.
Click on Mail Options on the top right-hand corner.
Click on Yahoo! Delivers on the Options Page
Click Yes!, please enrol me in the Yahoo! Delivers promotional program..
Fill out the rest as you desire, then click the button, Finish.
Once you have completed these steps, click on POP3 and Forwarding Status on the Options page to continue with your registration for these services.

-------------------------------------------------

If you do have POP3 access then proceed as follows:

Once POP3 mail access has been enabled you then need to configure Outlook Express. To configure you will need to know the names of POP3 and SMTP severs. This varies depending on region. e.g. the POP3 server for USA users is POP.mail.yahoo.com and for UK users it is POP.mail.yahoo.co.uk . The following uses USA servers, for users in other regions just modify the POP3 and SMTP server addresses, if in doubt consult MailOptions- Help.

The following information is required to configure your Yahoo email POP3 account:
Incoming mail (POP3) server: POP.mail.yahoo.com (USA customers)
Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Account name: Your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without @yahoo.com)

Outlook Express allows you to add a new email account to your existing profile. This means you do not have to replace your current settings in order to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages. The procedure is as follows:

From the Tools menu, choose Accounts.
Select the Mail tab.
Click the Add button.
From the Add menu, click Mail.
In the text box labelled Display Name, type your name and click Next.
In the Email Address and the reply address box , type your Yahoo! Mail address (be sure to include @yahoo.com) and click Next. ( for more details on these addresses see my how to set up email addresses article)
Under My incoming mail server is a... select POP3.
Type POP.mail.yahoo.com in the Incoming Mail (POP3, IMAP4, or HTTP) Server box.
Type smtp.mail.yahoo.com in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box.
Click Next.
In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the @yahoo.com).
In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
If you want Outlook Express to remember your password, check the Remember password box.
Do not check the boxes labelled Log on using Secure...
Click Next.
Click Finish.
Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on:

Select the Mail tab.
Double-click the account labelled POP.mail.yahoo.com
Select the Servers tab.
Check the box next to My Server Requires Authentication.
Click OK.
To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server:

Select the Mail tab.
Double-click the account labelled POP.mail.yahoo.com.
Select the Advanced tab.
In the Delivery section at the bottom of the window, check Leave a copy of messages on server if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on the Yahoo! Mail server as well as on your local computer. Do not check this box if you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server once you have received them in Outlook Express. If you want to access your email from both the Outlook Express client and the Yahoo web based client then you need to leave a copy of the mail on the server.

Done! You can now access your Yahoo mail using Outlook Express.

I'll give it try and let you know if I need help with anything. Thank you so very much Warez! :D

I can't find the Yahoo! Delivers bit. I don't think its free anymore. I'm at Yahoo.com if it helps

You need to log into yahoomail.com
then click options
click mail access and fowarding
then click pop settings up at the top
setup outlook just like yahoo explains in that tutorial with those exact settings and you will be fine I have used yahoo as pop mail for outlook serveral times.

It would seem that you would have to pay, yes, so I think I'll just stick with the old way of checking my mail! Thank you for everyone's replies! :D

magouster said:
It would seem that you would have to pay, yes, so I think I'll just stick with the old way of checking my mail! Thank you for everyone's replies! :D

ypops is free. I use to use it before I ditch snitchin yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom