Sata Hardrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin

Solid State Member
I Recently bought a sata HD from a online site, and it seemed to be fine, well it still seems fine now, but every time I use the Hd eg. copying to or from, installing, opening etc. It makes a ticking noise, the kind of noise that PC make when they are thinking but my HD only makes that noise, and I just wanted to know if that is fauly or if it is just like that, because Im getting a little scared here. THe specs for it are.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
Form Factor - 3.5"
Capacity - 200 GB
Average Rotational Latency - 4.16 ms
Interface - Sata II
Buffer to Host Date Rate - 300 MB/s
Buffer size - 8mb

If you can tell me that my HD natrually just makes a noise you would have made my day, so thanks

Could clicking describe it as well? If not, then its normal but do not quote me on it because I have not actually heard it first hand.

A clicking sound, Well ya I suppose it makes a clicking sound, but it is very fast.

Could something be wrong with it?

Because its Brand New

its defintly faulty , most hds will make a single click when being powered on/off thats considered normal , clicking while reading/writing is not normal , rma it

He could be simply hearing the read/write heads simply accessing the data. It depends though cause yes you will hear noise if its seeking data, but if you a click like a true loud click that is trouble The click could be described as a manual clock that ticks every second but a bit louder.

its defintly faulty , most hds will make a single click when being powered on/off thats considered normal , clicking while reading/writing is not normal , rma it

all hdd's make a clicking noise.....its a freaking mechanical device of course it makes a noise.

it is up to you to decide whether you think the drive is faulty or not. by the way
It makes a ticking noise, the kind of noise that PC make when they are thinking but my HD only makes that noise
that has always been the hdd making that noise.

Griffin said:
A clicking sound, Well ya I suppose it makes a clicking sound, but it is very fast.

Could something be wrong with it?

Because its Brand New

It is very fast, and not that loud, so your HDD is probably fine.

the Reason I was worried was because I friend of mine got a very similar HD exept his is 16mb cache and 250GB not that, that would make a difference, but his is better than mine, and it dosnt make no noise (apparently)

My Hd is not as loud as a clock, So it probly is not faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom