I think newegg sent me the wrong psu. Before I send it back, check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just means there's power to the board. Have you tryed just plugging the fan into an open 3pin fan connector on the board. That will probably fix it for a while.

FlashDude said:
That just means there's power to the board. Have you tryed just plugging the fan into an open 3pin fan connector on the board. That will probably fix it for a while.

I did, and it didn't work. I couldn't get the computer to "repeat" what it did when the fan was just sputtering and randomly moving for a few seconds and stopping. All other 3 pin connectors on the board did not work, but like I said the fan kicked on high speed when I put it in their 7 year old Compaq and booted up the computer.

Still leaning towards a fried board? I've been looking for it and I couldn't find it at all, and on emachines.com it's sold out. I googled for a while and found some place selling it for 175.00, but it didn't look like a trust worthy (or at least a well known) site.

If anybody else would like to do some searching on other web sites you know of (all I use is newegg, and occasionally browse tiger direct) the board is an Intel 845gv Chipset. :confused:

I think emachines uses a proprietary mobo design, and if they do your better off just buying a new mobo and case for a lot less then then a new mobo on emachines.

Wait, wait. What would the mobo be propreitary to? The processor? If I were to rebuild this system, keeping as much of the old parts as I can, what could I keep? I know I could keep HDD and optical drives, and I assume the new PSU, but what else? Would the current CPU work if I got a compatible mobo for it?

Jayce said:
Wait, wait. What would the mobo be propreitary to? The processor? If I were to rebuild this system, keeping as much of the old parts as I can, what could I keep? I know I could keep HDD and optical drives, and I assume the new PSU, but what else? Would the current CPU work if I got a compatible mobo for it?

Just the case and the mobo, basically, on proprietary designs they change the placement of the mount points and maybe a couple of other things. You can keep everything but the mobo and the case and transfer all the other hardware. But for simplicity's sake, you will need to do a fresh reinstall of windows when you get a new mobo.

kaname said:
Just the case and the mobo, basically, on proprietary designs they change the placement of the mount points and maybe a couple of other things. You can keep everything but the mobo and the case and transfer all the other hardware. But for simplicity's sake, you will need to do a fresh reinstall of windows when you get a new mobo.

Which their XP disc that came with the emachines should suffice for that, right?

So all in all, I'd need new ram, case, and mobo, everything else would be okay?

The disc that came with their emachines may not work because it is proabibly a startup disc which means it installs EVERYTHING including drivers which could be a problem as you may not be able to boot with the wrong drivers. You need a retail version of XP if you want to install it on a custom PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom