Copy from One HDD to Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
How do I copy files from one HDD to Other and make new HDD a boot drive....

What soft to use?

I know some HDD somes with some CD to do it... But I dont have it.. so...

well what i did is i just plugged my old hard drive into my mobo (when the systems off :p) and then went to my computer and moved the files i wanted to from C:\ to D:\

if you want to change which one boots, you have to set the jumpers and/or BIOS to let it know which one is the "slave" and which is the "master"

ha, i'll probably need to ask some question in a few months too... im finally about to get my rapter 150gig :D :D :D

Oh... so just make new hard drive a slave and turn on comp and move all file to new HDD...

and then make new HDD a master?

I'm in somewhat the same situation. The problems I see with what was said above are;

-What if one drive is SATA? No Master/Slave on it.

-How will you boot from the HDD that you transferred the data to if Windows isn't installed on the second one?

So easiest is to get windows and then copy the all other files.. like Documents, Program Files etc....

Buy Norton Ghost, there is an option on the bootable CD that allows you to copy one entire drive to another. It just copies everything exactly, which is what you would want if you are upgrading to a new faster or bigger drive. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom