password protect directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundgarden

In Runtime
I was wondering if there is a way to do that.

Say i have c:/Program Files/Test

How do i change so it is necessary to enter a password to see the contents of the directory.

Some of you might say create a new account on XP and put the stuff in "My Files" directory, but tahts not what i want.

ekÆsine said:
make up your mind, do you want to enable password protection or just want to be lazy with the security? you can't have both, thats contradictory. here's how:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10842&highlight=advanced+sharing

Thanks for the link...

What i wanted is to password protect DiRECTORIES, not accounts. THerefore i can have just one XP user account, but I can make sperate directories and password protect them. So wehn i click on a directory, a popup asks to input a password...or soemthing like that.

xp manager has a feature to encrypt and decrypt just by rite clicking the file, encrypt it and password it and then when u want put the password in and decrypt it, i wouldnt do it for large folders or files tho as sitting there waiting for it to decrypt everytime u want in it would b a nuisance but if its just word docs or something similar it would work fine, i have xp home so i cant encrypt with windows so thats y i use that, if u have xp pro u should b able to do it thru windows not to mention all the other cool stuff u can do with xp manager

Hmmmm, a little side note.....XP encrypt (encorrupt) is easily broken. To be perfectly honest.....even with a (slightly modified) packet sniffer used locally!!!

Not Joking!

-Mike

i use to have a VB6 freeware that i found on the internet and allow you to choose different folders, files and some applications like IE so when you try to open them it will pop up a password windows. i can't remember the name of the program but i will try to find it again and if i do i will let you know!!
you can also do a search for freeware on the internet and look for security tools or VB6, or something related to it, there may be more tools like the one i'm talking about!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom