I think newegg sent me the wrong psu. Before I send it back, check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Okay, someone called me saying their pc shut down blah blah won't start went over yeah psu is dead. So anyway, it's a 3 year old emachines.

So I picked out this power supply here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159011

Now, look at the connector. It says 20+4-pin. That means that the main connector is 20 pin, and there's a separate 4 pin connector.... right? Well, the one I got, the main connector is 24 pin, and I have another pin with 4 pins on it. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I suppose there isn't some kind of adapter for that. :confused:

Im lost now, on newegg the picture looks like its 24 pin... Check it out. http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-159-011-09.JPG

That is most definitely a 24 pin connector. Why in the **** was it labeled 20 pin? :angry:

Edit again - I'm unsure of something now. I was reading reviews for other power supplies, and I read this in a review. "None whatsover. Easy to remove the extra 4-pin connector from the 20-pin if needed to fit motherboards that only support 20-pin connections...."

I assume the power supply I got is usable then, just need to mod the connector..... How? :confused:

Sylus said:
It has a 20 Pin connector with a 4 pin add on in the pic, just take the 24 pin adapter off and it'll be 20 pin, it should slide right off.

Wow. I don't know how I missed that. Are those 4 pins then useless, or are they the 4 pins that get connected elsewhere? Because I also have the 4 pin connector as well...

You don't use the 4 pin that comes off the 20+4, the other seperate 4-pin you plug into the 4-pin connector on the mobo by the CPU.

Continuing on with this, we've encountered a problem. Long story short, the owner of the computer called me (friend of my parents) and said that their computer won't start up right. She said she was using it and it was doing some weird stuff, freezing, sputtering, etc, then it just shut off. It was turned off for an hour, and even after an hour of sitting idle she burnt her hand on the back panel right by the PSU. Naturally, I thought it was the PSU.

Well we put the new PSU in, and I connected it just like you folks said. It still doesn't work. Something weird that happened was the CPU heatsink fan would start slowly, then shut off, sputter, etc. I thought maybe that was dying and it caused the CPU to overheat, so I took the fan and put it in their other 6 year old computer that they have for the kids to play games on. The fan started right up, spinning very fast with no hesitation.

So in a nutshell, the sputtering CPU fan we know works, so it's doubtful that the CPU overheated from lack of air flow. There's a new PSU in place which does NOTHING different than the previous PSU, besides not being hot as he11.

So where does that leave us? Is their motherboard shot? Is there any tests I can do?

yeah mobo is messed up, Emachines tune up?? replace mobo! Just plug it into one of the other 3pin motherboard connectors or get an adaptor to go directly to a molex connector, or soldier it to the proper molex connector pin's yourself. Don't forget to tell them its only a matter of time.

FlashDude said:
yeah mobo is messed up, Emachines tune up?? replace mobo! Just plug it into one of the other 3pin motherboard connectors or get an adaptor to go directly to a molex connector, or soldier it to the proper molex connector pin's yourself. Don't forget to tell them its only a matter of time.

Right now they're considering on just having me get a new CPU, mobo, graphics card, case, and memory, and just using the hard drive, optical drives, and the new PSU that just came in and putting a new rig together.

There's a green light on the mobo though that's lit whenever I plug it in. Does that mean anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom