Your thoughts on Prescott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
Hmm, can we have a peaceful and intellectual converstion about CPU's??

Well here we go:p

What do you guys think about the new Prescott from Intel??

Do you think that it will live up to its hype despite it's slow start just as the early P4(Williamete) had when it was released?

i was goin to get it but ppl said it will get too hot and
i have a question do u have to buy another mother board for the prescott??

I think they seem pretty good. They have similar performance specs as an Extreme Edition, but for like half the price. But I guess they need a pretty hefty fan and heatsink, so that kinda sucks. I think if I was in the market for a new CPU, I would get one.

Also, David, they use the same chipsets as the other 800 MHz FSB pentium 4s: 875P, 865PE, 865G, 865GV, and 848P chipsets.

when it hits 3.6 it will be wourth it and when it moves to its new package. but right now there a peice of junk and not wourth half of the money they cost

Yeah, not only does the Prescott run more voltage and hotter, but right now its also slow as heck in gaming and slower then the Northwood in most benchs, though it even kicks EE arse in some highly technical apps:confused:

I think that it's just like the Williamete in that it will start out slow and as predicted will really get going once the clock speed ramps up moving that huge arse pipeline(31 stages compared to 24 I think on the Northwood). The fact that it burns up is the concern, though that shouldn't be much of a concern if you just get a better heatsink and fan combo.

As for Tejas, things should be better and maybe that will be the new P5, as the Prescott was supposed to be...... Tejas is supposed to utilize the the problematic 775 LGA socket isn't it?:confused:

One of my favorite PC sites Bit-Tech recently reviewed the prescott chips. Lookie here.

I always try and look for the best in a situation and this one nearly had me stumped. I can't see how Intel can justify releasing a CPU which is slower in the majority of benchmarks unless they had something up their sleeve. I can only assume that this will be a CPU for the future, something which will show its worth in the coming months. On the other hand it does have a slight advantage. Prices for the Prescott are only slightly higher than the Northwood and distribution prices are always falling so we should see them actually become cheaper in the long run. Now the only downside with producing a CPU to be strong in future applications is that the "future" in the computing world isn't very long. Evolution happens at a staggering rate and it will only be a matter of months before the Prescott is put back on the shelf when the Pentium 5 or equivelant is released. This is why I was slightly puzzled when it was mentioned that the Prescott had 64 bit instructions that wouldn't be enabled until 2005. 2005?! The Pentium 4 has been with us for a while now in many different iterations but I really can't see it lasting, the Athlon 64 was a huge success, it surpassed mine and many others' expectations. This really isn't going to win Intel the performance crown, certainly not with the 3700+ and the 4000+ 64 bit CPU's on the horizon...

There is 64 bi enabled in the chip. just disabled right now. there needs to be a component added to it so it will work

DAVID_15 said:
Why do some motherboards say "prescott ready" i didnt think u needed another motherboard?

Because Prescott runs at a higher voltage and hotter, so the Mobo has to be able to handle that extra volts and heat. Most boards like mine they just released an update that will allow you to be able to run Prescott's, but lower end boards probably won't be able to handle such strain:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom