Why does my P4 2.4 Ghz only show as 1.8 Ghz???

Status
Not open for further replies.
JALLLL,

My MB manual says that my memory "supports DDR up to 333 MHz (enhanced) memory bus).

Any idea what the "enhanced" means? Could it possibly mean buffered? I'm not too familiar with memory.

memory runs on a completely differn't bus then a cpu. but when the memory frequency is lower than then the actually fsnb on the pcu u got a problem(not in all cases this rule applies pc 2700 goes with a 333fsb cpu and pc3200 goes with 400fsb cpus and beyond. but its a bottleneck. try to see if ur external bus and mlriplier are at stock speed they may be set lower

Maybe

Win2kpatcher said:
They jacked you!! Get your money back!! ;-)
=====
Who set the bios multiplier.Who built this ?
It's probably a bios change,but only technisons can do this.
Take it back.

:eek:

Deadguy,

I rebooted and during POST, it says my CPU is a P4 @ 1.8 Mhz.

When I go into the BIOS, there's a screen called

CPU PnP setup:

CPU Brand: Intel
CPU type: Pentium 4
CPU ratio: Locked
CPU frequency: 100 Mhz

I can't change any of these.

For my memory, I found a screen that lists the following:

SDRAM timing by SPD: Disabled
SDRAM Frequency: 100 Mhz
SDRAM CAS# Latency: 2.5
SDRAM Bank interleave: Disabled

These seem to be ones that can be changed, but I'm afraid to alter them. I'm not really sure what any of them do except the SDRAM frequency? It can be altered to 100, 133, or auto? I remember when I put the PC2700 Ram in, it also included 166.

This is really all I could find in the BIOS? I'm a little scared to try and update the BIOS for fear of screwing everything up. I looked at the ECS site for my MB, and it had, I think, 4 BIOS updates. Do I have to dowload each update or only the latest one?

Deadguy,

I stayed up till the wee hours last night reading about flashing my BIOS. I decided to try it and I'm pretty sure I did everything right. When my system posts it says that my BIOS are from 3/06/03. However, I still haven't noticed anything different.

I CANNOT highlight anything on the CPU screen. I've tried. The BIOS update page lists 5 different updates. Do you know whether they have to be installed one at a time or can I go right to the last one and it will include everything in the older versions? I'm unclear about this.

Here's the link:

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p4vxasd2_5x.html

I'll try the CPU-Z and get back to you.

Deadguy,

I did flash my BIOS with that patch. I don't have the INT INF driver. Isn't that for Intel chipsets? Mine is a VIA.

I can't change the CPU frequency in BIOS. The only thing I can do is change the two jumpers on the MB to 133 from 100. When I do this, my system doesn't boot.

I downloaded the cpuid program and it shows my memory as 100mhz with a cas#latency of 2.0.

Also, when I changed my memory speed to auto it wouldn't boot again.

take it back and get the tech to work with it and fix it or demand money back. Only so much online techs can suggest

Memory module info:

dimm#1: ddr sdram pc2100-512MB
dimm#2: kingston ddr sdram pc2100-512MB

frequency: 100 Mhz
FSB: Dram 1:1
CAS# Latency: 2.0

CPU core speed: 1800.0 Mhz
Multiplier x 18
FSB 100.0 Mhz
Bus Speed 400 Mhz

Specifications: Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 2.40 Ghz

I put the Via drivers that came with my motherboard from the CD. Should I try updating with the newest 4-1 pack? If yes, do I just download and install right over the other drivers or some other way. Sorry to be such a pain.

I've done all of that. Loaded optimal settings, saved, exited. It just loads the defaults and I'm back to square 1. I can't seem to do anything to unlock the CPU Pnp page. I'ved tried everything I can think of. I've even had to clear the CMOS jumper twice because my bios wouldn't load after I messed with the memory settings.

On a side note, I see that my hard drive is equipped with S.M.A.R.T technology, so I enabled it. What does it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom