Different Memory sticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
I have two 512MB memory sticks and was thinking of upgrading another gig or two, my question is, if I want to get another gig I think it would be better to get two more 512s (that way all sticks are the same, which I believe is better) but if I get two gigs Im going to have to get 1024 each....would two 1024s and two 512s be an ok setup, or should I avoid that?

yeah, when u buy new ram, you always remove the old one. and you dont want 4 sticks cause then you can use dual channel. and dont use more than 2gigs on XP. it can handle 4 and 3 just sux in comparison to 2gig dual channel.

When you run 4 sticks of RAM it is also in dual channel... You also don't "always" remove the old RAM. There isn't necissarily a need to remove your old RAM unless you're doing what this guy is doing.

You really need to get up on your information before you reply incorrectly.

The answer depends on quite a few variables including what your mobo supports and what ram exactly you have and are concidering getting.
Generally you can run 4 sticks dual channel but doing so can hurt your performance in some cases.
I say if you do go for 4 x 512 make sure the chips are identical, i.e. exactly same latencies, manufacturer, chip density, single/dualside, and preferably try to get the same producation period.
Personally I think you would more likely be better off (performance wise) getting 2 x 1024 sticks at a good cas and discarding the 512's

toxicity_27 said:
Try to avoid using 4 sticks of RAM. It can actually slow your computer down. Get 2*1GB and sell your 2*512MB.

Please dpon't be so simple minded. The ultimate considerations are wether or not the mobo supports DC and the FSB of the CPU. Its the FSB of the CPU that dictates the compliance of the memory. Having four sticks of memory in a mobo that supports 4 sticks that do not exceed memory limts is not negatively affected by the number of sticks installed. Where did you get that information? Amazing!:amazed:

Well I know for a fact that it does afect performance on *my* PC, I actully own 4 sticks of 512 but I'm using only 2 because my bandwidth is better and I can OC much more.

toxicity_27 said:
When you run 4 sticks of RAM it is also in dual channel... You also don't "always" remove the old RAM. There isn't necissarily a need to remove your old RAM unless you're doing what this guy is doing.

You really need to get up on your information before you reply incorrectly.

dude u cant run dual channel with 4 sticks, dual=2, quad=4, you used to be able to run like 2x512 and 1x1GB in dual channel, but no longer. thats why they are color coordinated, if they werent you can stick the 2 sticks anywhere and it would work, which is not how it works.

4 sticks would be running in dual channel. 2+2=4. Most mobos have two sets of dual channel slots, therefore you would be able to run 4 sticks in dual channel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom