Computers On 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I've always had a crappy pc. The kind of pc that would barely run or stay functional more than a half hour or so before going awol. I was never able to leave my computer running for long periods of time. If i was going to bed, my computer would have to be shut down... mandatory (although more likely i'd go to bed during one of it's crashes and get fed up with rebooting!). Otherwise i'd wake up in the night to find a blue screen or some other such error screen. Years of dealing with this conditioned me to never leaving my pc on when i wasn't using it.

Now that i've got a really good computer, it's like i have to recondition myself about certain things. For instance, when i'm surfing or working on a document, i sometimes still think i'm on my old one... i'll get paranoid that i'm going to lose my data and save the item every few minutes or so, or save the website i'm browsing in my favorites so that i can view it after i reboot again and again. I guess with time i'll get more relaxed and used to using the new computer.

Anyway, i was wondering. How many of you leave your computers running 24 hours a day? How many of you shut your pc off when you go to bed or leave the house? Have any of you experience adverse effects by doing so? Just a few questions i ponder while i grow more accustomed to the stability of a "real" computer.

This probably wouldn't be a bad poll topic either, if someone wanted to post it. ;)

my laptop is off whenever im gone and not using it, my desktop however is on most of the time. it stays on at night; i like to see large dloads complete as i wake up, rather than waiting during the day.

my puter is on 24/7 and i have never had any problems as a result of this... apart from a powersupply dying after 2 years... but i dont really care about that!

I have multiple PC's at home, some are running as servers, the rest as workstations.

Servers are runninng Win2k Advanced Server

Workstations are running Windows XP Pro (Home can't be part of a domain network.. only workgroup)

I leave the servers on all of the time, have the monitor setup to shut off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Actually, I leave all of my computers on all of the time, sometimes I use the "Standby" feature on WinXP to cut down on the fan noise... it basically shuts down your computer... without turning it off!! hit the space bar and within seconds everything is up and running again.

When the computers are on stanby, they don't use too much electricity so it doesn't matter when it comes to the electric bill. Also, by leaving your computer on, there is a signicant decrase in the wear and tear of the computer....Turning off and turning on your computer causes alot of wear on your PC.

My pc is on 24/7 - 365, and Ive never had a problem other than minor details like power supplies dying quicker, and CPU fans going sooner.

But thats a cheap fix, and really not an issue.

I try to leave it on 24/7, but someone in my house keeps on turning the bloddy thing off. if i find out who it is !!!! *angry*

kewl so most of you all keep your pc's on all the time. I can't possibly see how shutting it off and on could hurt it... i've tried to rationalize it... but i just can't see it. Seems to me the least it's on the more it's preserved. I can't see how shutting it on and off would have any adverse affects whatsoever. The same would be for a car. You keep it running all the time.. you're bound to have probs quicker. Shut it off and on.. you're gonna burn out the starter eventually... but thats it. Last i checked my pc didn't have a starter lol.

I can see servers being on all the time. That kinda goes with the territory.

I bet that win2k advanced server is nice. Eventually i'll mess around with that myself.

well my computer is on 24/7 but i have a fear of the monitor catching on fire because one night my brother was on the net and all of a sudden he comes to my room and he's calmly telling me:"my monitor is smoking!"

what if we weren't here?...

the reason for leaving systems on is due to electrical components and the heat index. for example, when you turn on your monitor your have resistors (for simplicity, restricting a certain amount of current) and those resistors will heat up and expand to a certain point and remain constant until powered off. then they contract. if this happens over and over by powering a computer off, over time they will wear down and 'crack'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom