What to replace my 7800gt with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I know what you're thinking... I shouldn't have to replace a 7800gt just yet. The thing is that the card is a vanilla and manufactured by Jaton. Its stock settings are 400mhz/1.0ghz and yield a 3dmark05 score of 6880. It does not overclock at all. Is this the fault of the graphics card solely? I know that this is low for a 7800gt but apparantly not this particular make of the series. Would upgrading to a 7900gt ko for overclocking be a wise choice?

Here are my specs:

amd athlon 64 3700+ processor

1 gig dual channel ram.

480 wat antec psu

above stated graphics card.

Hmmmm..very low score for that system. Buy a 7900GT if you have the money. I have a BFG 7900gt oc'd to 550/1600, 1 gig of Corsair XMS and a 3500+ My memory and CPU are slightly oc'd and my 3dMark05 score is 9170!! Probably the card! Hope that helps.

Not really. Everyone else with my card gets the same score. I am just worried about the overclocking. My motherboard has been reviewed to be poor at overclocking, but does this affect the graphics card at all? If my current card artifacts at any setting other than stock is that a sign that the graphics card is a poor overclocker or that something else could be to blame? I don't want to get the same results for overclocking this time.

What is the best card for the money that overclocks the highest? Should i get a factory overclocked card and overclock it some more?

This is the card I am banking on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130015

If you are seeing artifacts then your card is not capable of being oc'd. There is no harm in attempting to OC your system. If you do it intelligently and patiently it will give your benchs a good bit of a performance boost. What mobo?

I don't want to overclock anything but the GPU. What i am trying to ask is whether or not it is solely the graphics card's fault or if it might have something to do with the mobo and if it would be worth it for me to upgrade from a 7800gt to a 7900gt with my system. Is going from 400mhz/1.0 ghz to 550mhz/1.7 ghz really going to be worth the 300 bucks?

Here is the card again:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130015

Not being able to overclock the GPU is entirely the GFX card's fault, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Mobo! You'll see a difference in performance between the 7800GT and 7900GT. Is it worth the 300? I don't think so, no, but if you have 300, why not, hey? Remember, the 7900GT is basically a overclocked 7800GTX on a smaller manufacturing process, so the extra 4 pipelines, and 150MHz increase in core-speed will make a difference guaranteed. But does your card play the games you have now? Are you so unhappy with the card that you're not willing to wait another couple months for G80?

Personally I'd stick with the card you have until DX10 is out, however the upgrade to the 7900GT is not to be sniffed at, you would get a significant performance bump.

I doubt the inability to OC your card has anything do do with your system, unless perhaps you're running with a low power or failing PSU.

But aren't the newer cards going to cost much more than 300 bucks? I just think that by having a Jaton my performance is suffering. Would having the graphics card hooked up to the pci power cord and not the two molex connecter adapter that came with it make a difference?

your power supply and your motherboard is known to have compatiblity issues, so just check if thats the problem, if not then u have to dig in further

It might, give it a try. I'm assuming you are talking about the PCI-e connector on your PSU? The new cards might just cost more than 300, but they might not. Impossible to know. But if you can scrape together 300 now, then perhaps you'll be able to scrape away until you have 500 by the time DX10 hits us, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom