How do think FIREFOX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive got the lastest firefox and havent noticed it slow down any.

And what he means by speed hacks is the fasterfox extension that can be had from there site

you can also do the about:config thing

and enable the pipelineing, etc...

somebody posted instructions for that somewhere...

As a technician for a school district, I have noticed a large decrease in the amount of crap I have to clean off the machines since we switched over to Firefox. I'm not sure on the memory hog though. I haven't noticed anything, but im not particularly lacking on memory on my machines.

I do have some gripes about firefox though. Since 1.5.1 I have not been able to view PDF's in my browser window. I never had a problem with firefox 1.0 and later (to 1.5.1) Has anyone else been having that problem?

Only other problem I've had is some of the pages on MSNBC don't load correctly. The images are in the middle of the text and such.

By memory hog, I mean in task manager. By the end of the day I'm over 400k!

ohhhh ok. hmmm....I could see that, but any other program will take up memory. IE, MS word, ****, even OOo (but that's java)

Ya, I have had some of those problems with pics not lining up. Sites "optimized" for IE. pfffftttttt - that's what I think. As a web developer it should be your duty to make the data accessible to EVERYONE. no matter what browser they are using. Thus for W3C standards and browser compliance. Sorry, ill get off my soap box.

hillbillybob said:
I do have some gripes about firefox though. Since 1.5.1 I have not been able to view PDF's in my browser window. I never had a problem with firefox 1.0 and later (to 1.5.1) Has anyone else been having that problem?

Yes, previous version of Firefox wouldn't load the PDF extension correctly which resulted in Firefox hanging there. Seen it happen on 1.5.2 and earlier version. I don't know if they fix it in 1.5.3 but some of the security notification indicated the new update fix some stability issues but wasn't specific on it.

Consider installing more memory, I have no problem with any application on a machine with 1 gig of RAM. Beside, memory is cheap, you can get 512MB for less than $50. Don't run FireFox with alot of extension than, don't use a fancy GUI. Keep the application simple and it will run fine. Seen the best of it on a machine with only 256MB of RAM if you just keep it simple.

*nod*

Has anyone noticed that the latest release seems to hog more memory.

:angry: I have. After suspecting IE as the cause for my latest reformat, I switched completely over to FF (except in the few cases where I had to do things like pay bills online and the app. wouldn't accept FF). After about a month, I couldn't stand it anymore and switched back to IE, throwing security to the wind. Tabbed browsing, my foot. If I've got four or five tabs open in FF and go to maximize it in the morning, it sometimes takes five minutes to get up and running. On occasions, its even frozen up and I had to kill it completely, losing whatever work I'd been doing in the open tabs. I can have the same amount of IE windows sitting open, using WAY less memory and I can pull whichever one I need to look at up in a flash. Firefox is now definitely a memory hog. I have not added anything on to it. Just the regular ol' download and install from the site.

Oh, and has anyone else had trouble navigating the menus? I'm going into my bookmarks to pull up a site and if I jump through the folders at anything faster than turtle-speed, they disappear on me like they have no delay-time for when you're moving into the next directory. THAT gets annoying. Is there a way to fix this?

i don't think that FF is a memory hog, because i never had any problems or slow downs when i open 4 or 5 FF windows with 6-7 tabs in each.

i have 1GB of ram and i don't have any extension installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom