XP Home problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armed Rebel

Beta member
I'm really hoping I can get a solution here. ><

Okay, so I'll start with the beginning. Above a week or so ago, I decided I wanted to do a Windows/Linux Dual Boot. (Fedora Core 5 to be exact, which I'm using now) So I ordered a 250gb Seagate SATA drive in addition to a WD 80gb IDE drive I originally had. So my plan was to partition the 250 into 2 parts, one for windows and all my apps, and the other for anything I may share through the two OSs. Then my other 80gb would be for linux and the stuff for it. So I try installing XP in the 250gb HDD, but I tried that a few times and after the setup when it re-booted, I got a hal.dll error and I could boot. So I just decided to see what linux is like so I installed that thinking I'd be able to re-installing XP any time. So I did, and later that day (I had the whole day free) I tried re-install XP. But with both drives in, the XP set up wouldn't even start. After it the "Dectecing Hardware Configuation" part, it went into a black screen and nothing happened (If even left it on overnight too see if anything would happen, nothing did).

So after this, I tried removing the SATA drive and just trying the install on my old 80gb drive, and the same black screen thing happened. Then I switched it, I put the 250gb back in, and took out the 80gb drive. The install worked flawlessly, but now when I installed it on that drive, I didn't go 10 minutes without getting a BSoD. (With my old XP install, I'd get them occasionally, but not every 10 minutes)

So currently I'm on my Fedora Core 5 installation on my old 80gb drive awaiting a solution.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom