EVGA 7900 GT CO artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
My friend recently finished his computer, but after about two days artifacts started to appear and it got worse as time went on. Finally to the point where the game crashes. We checked the temps but that doesn't seem to be the problem and he hasn't overclocked anything. His dad got a 7900 GT from Microcenter.

He has:

eVGA 7900 GT CO @ 500/1500mhz stock speeds

Athlon 64 4000+

MSI K8N Neo4-F motherboard

Kingston 1GB DDR400

Rosswill 500W w/ +12V @ 34A (17A on each rail)

Seagate 120GB IDE 7200rpm

We got the latest Nvidia drivers (84.56) and the problem still persists. All the games (we played FEAR, HL2, CSS, UT04, Morrowind, and Empires) played flawless the day he finsished and about 3 days afterward, but then FEAR started to show artifacts on the shotgun, it later started to appear on other guns and then shadows and textures artifacted. After that HL2/CSS started to artifact, we tried UT04 which ran fine for about 2 days after the other games artifacted, but then it started and started crashing. Some tech guy said it might have been that the memory wasn't dumping like it should since it seemed to get worse over time.So he reinstalled XP and it still is getting the artifacts. Then he called EVGA support and they said that the video card might not be getting enough power. My question is can an underpowered video card cause artifacts? I said he should return the 7900 GT and get a new one but he is thinking that his PSU is defected and is thinking about getting a new one.

That PSU im sure is too weak. I don't like the brand at all and you should have something like 600watts for that stuff in there. I think the 12v rail is fine.

If you can, take a reading on how accurate the 12v rail is off of that PSU.

Well it turned out it was a bad video card, got a replacement from Microcenter and it's running fine. Although I tell him he should get an Antect or OCZ and replace that generic PSU.

I saw that card on NewEgg, a ton a reviews said people were having the same problem witht he card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom