A Question About Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
My sister (blech), is trying to run The Sims 2 on our Dell Dimension 4600.

I have added these upgrades to the computer:

2GB Patriot Signature Ram

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

new speaker system (dont think this will affect anything)
new mouse (also not affecting anything)

So here is my problem. When she plays the game, it is ridiculously laggy. Also when she tries to save, it takes between 20 and 40 minutes (we timed this). I am worried it is uptting undue strain on the computer (possibly CPU/HD/VC).

Would this be possible? And if so, what upgrades would need to be made.

Data:

Dell Dimension 4600 Stats:
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-2721-x-1-2-x

Sims 2 Requirements:
http://compsimgames.about.com/od/thesims2faqs/f/systemrequireme.htm

It seems like it shouldnt need anything, but is it supposed to have 20 to 40 minute save times and ridiculous lag?

A few things i think might be causing this:

Low VC (video card) memory

Old CPU

Low RPM Harddrive

If not these, what could it be, and what would i need to buy to fix it.

Money is no object (parents paying)

Thanks,
Phate

also, i cant find it

what is the interface for the video card on this computer (Dell Dimension 4600)

for SOME reason, the system specs i see indicate a 2.8ghz cpu, but my Control Panel -> System screen shows that mine is 2.4...

anyone know what interface it is? i looked inside the tower, and what i ASSUME is the VC (im not quite sure, but its closest to the CPU)

is interfacing via a green recepticle.

there are 4 PCI slots below that, all filled.

is the green slot (shorter and thicker then PCI) an AGP or PCI EXPx16 thing.

im thinking about an NVIDIA 7800GT, that pretty good? :D

your first sentence tells it all, its a dell, dells are RACIST, you cant upgrade dells, because they are dells. if she just wants to play sims you dont need to buy a 7800GT, although the 7900GT is better and costs less last time i checked. you just need like a 6600GT, and ur fine. Sims 2 is not a demanding game video card wise. if u want my idea, here is what you should do. since u already have PSU, CAse, and Ram, Hard drive, and Optical drive. all you would need is a video card, 6600GT, CPU, AMD 3000+, and a motherborad, this one is great
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128292

that in total would cost you about.....$130+110+42=$280. and you can use the monitor, speakers, sound card, keyboard and mouse. that new build will be able to play Sim 2 without a doub,t and it would cost you less than the 7800GT. isnt that great!

Go into device manager and find out what card you have, the 4600 could have up to a 9800pro 128mb, which would run sims 2 with no problems. How did you get 2gb's of ram 4x512 or 2x1gb? As far as the cpu goes you could get what ever you spec'ed it with up to a 2.8ghz p4 down to a 2.2ghz (and some celeron's) another way to tell which graphics card is click start, run type in dxdiag and read the display tab. when was the last time you checked it for scumware and defraged the hdd?

I know it sounds stupid, but have you checked the drivers? since you made all these upgrades to a generic dell system, it might not like certain things your doing... Like prviously mentions Dells byte A55! I work with all day long at work. All I can say is: Gotta love government contracts. Anywho... sounds like drivers vs parts compatability to me...

or u can do what i suggested, i like my idea a lol, you have a whole new system for the price of the video card you would've wasted on, and you also get NON of the restraints that comes with dells, and not to mention lack of performance.

the thing is, im not paying for this. my parents are, so money is no object.

i game mostly on this computer, i use it the most for SURE.

my sister plays sims every now and then, and all that is wrong is it is slow. its just laggy, and takes 20+ minutes to save. i think its the graphics card, since it has 64mb of memory.

since I game on this machine, i would LIKE to upgrade it way high for me :D

btw, with the person who sudgested a new video card CPU and mobo, is that mobo compatible with all my shyt? i know my ram is like DDR400 or something, ill have to look it up, and get back to you.

also, my ram is 2x1gb, not 4x512. its patriot signature ram (the ones with the blue heatsinks already installed on them)

my friend has that same dell but with a 6800gt AGP and 768mb or ram. And he can play fear so get like a agp 6600 like the other guy said and you should be able to play games a whole lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom