Error message from all apps accessing internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superpowermuffi

Beta member
Hello,

For about 2 weeks, I have been getting one of those little windows error message saying that the program had encountered a fatal error, would have to close, and asking if you want to send an error report. This happens about 30 seconds after any program begins accessing the internet. Thus, if I start AIM and leave it disconnected it won't throw up an error, but about 30 seconds after I connect, it comes up with that error. This is true of every program that accesses the internet. I could post the entire text of the error details, but the details are enormous and I'll only post if neccessary. The strange thing is, I can drag the error messages down into the corner of the screen and go on using everything without a hiccup.

The only other symptoms that seem to have come with this problem are windows being unable to install any updates, and Emule refusing to 'complete' files after they've been fully downloaded.

I am using Microsoft Windows XP SP2. I connect to a router via ethernet (hardwired) to connect to the interent through a cable modem. Please ask for whatever other info might be relevant.

Has anyone ever encountered this before, or have any idea what it could be (or how to solve it)?

TIA,
Eric

Okay lets cover the basics. What Anti-Virus software are you running? Do you run a firewall along with your router? What Spyware scanner do you use? Have you run any scans using your Anti-Virus and spyware scanners? Do they come up with anything?

Then i would say have you tried to reset your router via the Router Control Panel. What type of router is it? Have you allowed your apps to access the internet thru your router and/or firewall?

These are just some simple troubleshooting questions that should be asked first. This will help narrow down the issue to either a virus, apyware or router issue.

After installing a new antivirus (AVG was old), I discovered a "bagel" worm in a system DLL that was apparently used in accessing the internet. After cleaning it up, no more error messages!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Just to double check

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 8 programs and update if needed.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

HijackThis Free

Ewido

CCleaner

Cleanup!

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, dont reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup Free

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit". Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not checked.

Now run each spyware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode. You dont need to run Hijackthis! yet.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on www.techist.com
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom