What about notebook Bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I have a notebook here. Asus l3800. I updated the bios from asus, and now I reboot and nothing. I can't get into the bios, or use the boot disk. Is there any other way of resetting the bios, I've been trying to get at the motherboard to get to the batttery, but I'm not having any luck, and I think I might break something. I've been looking for service manuals for it, but can't find anthing as well. Are there any possible tools to download?

Re:

Hello,

I hate to break it to you...but I think it's broken.

Either you've flashed the incorrect BIOS version, or it corrupted during the process. Happens alot. Happened to me once before. Luckily I was still covered under support so Compaq collected my machine and replaced the motherboard.

What BIOS do you have? American Megatrends (AMI)...Pheonix...?

Some BIOSes have a recovery features such as the new AMIBIOS, which have a recovery sector on the BIOS flash chip. But most commonly, many modern BIOSes can be re-flashed at the instance of powering up the PC, which will look for a floppy disk or CD containing a BIOS image file.

It's difficult. The best option is to send for repair, and either have the BIOS re-flashed professionally by software method on the laptop, or by removal of the BIOS chip (if possible) and repogramming it in another machine. Given that this is a laptop, it makes it a tricky process unfortunately.

But it's not impossible. If you are till covered by warranty by the manufacturer, then there's your first option. The second is to pay for it to be serviced.

Best of luck.

It's a phoenix. I tried using a floppy with the old bios on it as a startup, but it didn't seem to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom