wireless router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsmith82

Beta member
Does anyone have an idea why my Internet works when my cable modem is connected directly to a PC, but does not work when connected to my router? Neither LAN nor WLAN work. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

/*EDIT*/
Oh... and my router configuration page (means there is communication between PC and router) says that the PC (via LAN) is connected AND the Internet / cable modem (WAN) is connected. WLAN SSID shows up on other computers as an available network.

Plug a computer with a cable to the router. Open up command prompt and do ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew

Then do ipconfig /all to verfiy that you recieve an IP address from the routers DHCP server. Now ping the default gateway (router)to get a reply, now ping www.google.com to get a reply. See what happens.

Tell us what is the brand and model of your router.

The router did assign the computer an IP. The command prompt won't let me run the ping command. It pops up a dialog box and says:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The router is a D-Link DI-624M.

I replaced the autoexec.nt file. Now it is not really doing anything when I use ping. It just gives me another prompt. After doing it a few times though, it will give me another dialog box that says:

"Command Prompt - ping 192.168.0.1
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:fff0 OP:f3 a4 07 c3 3c Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

/* EDIT */
And it says "Divide overflow" in the command prompt window when it pops up the dialog box. It looks like it does this every 8th time I run the ping command. Every other time it just goes back to the prompt.

Which autoexec.nt file did you replace it with? It should come from your CD, I wouldn't download the one on the site, it doesn't help.

called d-link and i had problems resetting my router but it finally worked, also had problems flashing firmware, but it finally worked too... now internet is working... thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom