Overclocking an old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Hey, I've got an old system lying around. It has an Asus P2L97 motherboard, and a Pentium 2 333MHz proc in it. The bios doesn't have any FSB, multiplying, or voltage settings on it. How do I overclock?

Not a prebuild. I guess I have to flash the bios? And there's no real reason. I just got bored with it, and seeing how far I can overclock it.

Well, turns out the BIOS version is really, really, REALLY old. Three years behind the most current version. So I'm going to flash to the new version tomorrow morning, and see if that changes anything.

Okay, got a small problem. Turns out I completely forgot that I tossed the floppy drive when I got this old computer from my friend. So here's my plan...

I downloaded this "Ultimate Boot CD" ISO with all these utilities on it. So does a CD-R automatically finalize when you burn a CD? If not, I just add the ROM file to the CD, and since there's already a flash utility on that CD, I could just go right ahead and use those programs from the CD instead of a floppy. The only thing is, I can't backup my old BIOS, but I'm sure I've got the right version anyway. Also, if I added that ROM file after, that means it'd be adding another session. Can DOS read all sessions on a multi-session boot disk?

I think overclocking may need to be done manually i.e. with the components on the board, don't ask me how.

Oh, MAN! What the ****?! FSB jumpers were on the board, and I didn't even notice! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for helping me notice that. I've got it overclocked from 333 to 400 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom