42 degrees too high an idle temperature for an athlon 64 processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
In my motherboard's bios the temperature for idling is 42 degrees. Is this about right for an athlong 64 3700+ processor or should i be worried? I have plenty of airflow in my case, but i do have the stock heatsink attached. Should i invest in an aftermarket heatsink? Do you have any recommendations?

eh thats a little too high....thats more then my cpu under load.

did you use AS5?

Did you apply it correctly?

Im using a Zalman CNPS9500 and my temps are 23 C idle..........

Personally I would Reccomend the Big Typhoon, CNPS9500 or A64 freezer PRO, Sycthe Ninja, and Tuniqe Tower...

How can i be sure that those will fit onto my processor? it's socket 939, btw. Cool and quiet is on. Will having a cooler processor improve performance? Newegg links would be great. My actual average idle temp is around 40.

no but having a cooler processor insures you wont fry it...

btw all the ones I listed are socket 939 Compatible:)

Turn cool and quite Off...

23 degrees Celsius is about average ambient room temperatures.. it is about 73.4 Degrees Fahrenheit. How cold do you keep your house?!?

Cool and quiet just clocks it down when it heats up - so you don't get as much power... i think

Oh, well then F that. After playing Half-life 2 for a hour the temperature was 43 degrees. I think that its temperature under load and when idle is relatively the same. So do you think that it would be of my best interest to invest in a new heatsink? Do you have any links to ones you would recommend?

if your temp is only 43C at load.. then you have nothing to worry about... start worrying when it gets over 50 and close to 60

Wow..mine idles at 50 and at load gets up to like 66-70..lol. Its been this way for 3 years and shes still goin strong! **** hot prescott P4's!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom