Antivirus System Need Advice Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrowx7

Beta member
Hello,
I've gone a long ways trying to find a good antivirus system on a WinXP OS. I've almost given up, but perhaps you guys can suggest something.

Please don't suggest me Norton, it's the worst piece of crap on the planet. Their antivirus team isn't bad, but the actual program is horrible. It lags, freezes, and makes my computer run so slow.... Then if you try to remove it it doesn't let you accusing you of being a virus. I go into safe mode trying to remove the damned thing. And it tells me that it's not possible to remove it!!! (norton 2005) So I spent the whole night trying to remove it and as a result it screwed up my computer so badly that I had to reformat and start from scratch. Never again will I use norton...

Here is what I'm looking for:
I'm looking for a very light-weight anti-virus program, which does not run in the background. 100% of the viruses I get is from my downloads, so if I download a file and suspect a virus, I want to be able to right-click that file and select "scan" option, which will open the program, do a quick scan of the file, give me the results, and close (note I don't want it to scan automatically, ONLY if I tell it to). I DO NOT want it to run in the background and I certainly DO NOT want it to update itself whenever it feels like it (all of the sudden my computer starts lagging when I need it the most...I hate it). I want to be able to run definition and software upgrade whenever I tell it to, maybe it can remind me once in a while or something.

Can any of you guys suggest anything for me? I gave up.
I tried using online scanners, but they give me lots of javascript errors, and they take forever to start while I only want to quickly scan one file at a time.

Thanks a lot in advance!

AVG
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
AVAST 4 Home Edition
AVG Free Edition

I use Symantec Antivirus 10 Corporate Edition

Either Avast!, AVG or NOD32 is the best AntiVirus to use. I prefer NOD32. It is very lightweight and has been the best Anti-Virus App i have ever used. I was once a Norton users tilli found NOD32.

Its install is only 21MB and its resource use is 20,000KB or 20Mb. Which is very nice. I havent had a virus since i installed it. Which was over 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom